Not terribly bushcrafty but certainly outdoor adventuring :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
Completed the last camp for Scouts Wales silver dragon award on Thursday night. Elected to take on the "above 600m" challenge and so camped at Marchlyn Mawr reservoir in Snowdonia. So this was my site at 640m above sea level:

100_2168.jpg

And some pics from the walk down (the walk up was at dusk so got no pictures). The reservoir and view of Porth Penrhyn, Bangor:

100_2175.jpg

The smaller Marchlyn Bach, mostly frozen:

100_2177.jpg

Self portait with the slopes of Elidir Fawr behind me:

100_2184.jpg

After a steep walk and fairly poor sleep I was very glad to see the Landy again. You can see Caernarfon and the Menai Straight in the distance.

100_2198.jpg

However I had much more adventuring planned so was straight off to Dinorwic Quarry. This is the view southward from the viewpoint at the main splitting shed. The lake is Llyn Peris and the pass is the Llanberis pass with the Glyders on the left and Snowdon range on the right. The buildings and vehicles in the lower foreground belong to the First Hydro pumped storage hydroelectric power station:

100_2200.jpg

From there we went to Dali's hole. This had been fenced off with a massive new fence, to protect the site during filming of "Clash of the Titans" (now completed). There were several other ways round though, so in we went:

100_2209.jpg

The lake was an incredible azure colour - amazing. From there we took the big tunnel through and out into the next cavern (can't remember the name). The massive metre square chockstone in the roof of the tunnel had fallen and was almost blocking the exit to this first tunnel - I've got a photo somewhere of me standing under that stone - a scary thought! This is the view from that fallen chocksone across to the next tunnel:

100_2211.jpg

There is an abseil here into the big hole followed by a long underground tunnel that leads to a small foxhole exit, but we left that for another day. Our first big goal was this:

100_2217.jpg

It's a tunnel through a rock face left by quarrying operations, and only accessible this end by a chain left hanging from the entrance. A ruddy hard climb brings you into the tunnel. The view from the top of the climb:

100_2218.jpg

A short (stooped) walk brings you to the other side where a handy Ash tree secures a short abseil back down into the Dali's hole area. We then walked through Anglesey Barracks. This is a wierd ghost town terrace in the middle of the quarry, used for workers from Anglesey during quarry operations. I didn't get a photo of this but it's worth a look on Google images. On the path down through the woods we saw some feral Snowdonia goats with simply massive horns:

100_2231.jpg

We then took the very greasy inclined railway line down to Vivian Quarry. Footing was treacherous with wet leaves covering slate (all on a 40 degree incline). Vivian quarry itself is an amazing spot (Google images it) - I'm sorry I was so busy brewing up I forgot to take photos :) The incline:

100_2234.jpg

After Vivian quarry, we walked out along the road splitting the lakes, passing amazing view across Llyn Peris...

100_2240.jpg

We then headed towards Dolbadarn castle. Sadly the spiral staircase had been gated off half way up since last time I'd been - the kill-joy police hard at work it seems :( So we couldn't get fully up to the top like you used to be able to.

100_2238.jpg

After this we headed back to Pete's Eats in Llanberis for massive fried breakfasts all round :) A great end to a great day out.

Thanks so much to Iain, Dan, Kev and Mike for joining me.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Congratulations on completing the requirements for the Scouts Wales silver dragon award. Beautiful scenery and history. My maternal Grandfather's people come from Tregaron, Ceredigion. Some immigrated to America in the early 1700s. Thanks for sharing, Doc. I like the vest you are wearing with your pack. What model is it?

Your in Scouting,
Gordy

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
looks like a very nice part of the world,....

i googled the quarry too,...stunning,....

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Brings back memories of when i worked as an outdoor pursuits instructor in Llanberis. Spent many hours around Vivian and the surrounding quarries. Slate is something else to climb on !
If you go back try and explore the top of the quarries, its gets quite eerie and there are a few blast shelters that have been untouched since the day they were vacated, still with coats and hob nailed boots hung up. There is also a trip we used to take groups on wich sounds very similar to the abseil you have described. It involved climbing down 300 foot of old iron ladders, ( roped up as some of the rungs had rusted away ). At the bottom was a short scramble to a small entrance to a cave. Once through this tunnel you came out into a very over grown and wild quarry. This quarry can only be seen by doing this trip, and not from the top. Due to this we used to call it the journey to the lost world, after the name of the quarry.
Oh memories memories.

Paul

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
Hi Paullyfuzz

The lost world quarry sounds amazing, and I intend to go back many times - used to live in Tregarth and helped out with Llanberis scouts at the time. Any chance of grid refs, directions or anything like that? Or would you like to join us on one for old times sake (you're not that far away)??

Dom.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well done!
I did my Silver Dragon years ago (as a VSL...just helping my Ventures...) I did my camping ?m off the ground in a hammock...it was a good job I remembered how high I was in the morning and climbed out by the branch I was hanging from rather than my normal leap.....
Are you going to go for gold...Ventures became Explorers and I "retired" after 15 years as a leader before I got my chance :(

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
yeah - pooled my previous experience and then filled in the gaps for bronze, did silver in 12 straight months but think I'll take 2 or maybe 3 years to finish gold - the available challenges are running out! (although I've tried to kill off as many difficult ones as I can for silver)

I've got a mate with a big treehouse that I helped build so that should sort the 2m above ground one :)

Cheers John.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
yeah - pooled my previous experience and then filled in the gaps for bronze, did silver in 12 straight months but think I'll take 2 or maybe 3 years to finish gold - the available challenges are running out! (although I've tried to kill off as many difficult ones as I can for silver)

I've got a mate with a big treehouse that I helped build so that should sort the 2m above ground one :)

Cheers John.

My Ventures built a tree house for theirs...well... enough planks lashed into a convenient tree to make enough sleeping space (with guard rails) and a blue poly tarp for a roof :) luckily their lashings were good! :D

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Amazing place and photo’s. I think it’s got to be a New year resolution to visit sometime this year.Camp and have a Teddy Tour
many thanks for sharing Danny

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Snickers toolvest with Scout world badge, NSRA YPS instructor badge and my name embroidered.

Thanks, I really like the vest and the way you have personalized it. That would be worth showing in the kit chatter section with an explanation of what you place where. Thanks again, Dom!

Gordy

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Dom, let me know when your up there next and will see what we can sort out. Grid refs would be very hard to give as there is many ways up. Try the zig zag path up to Anglesey barracks and then just work your way up from there. If you want a scary night then bivvy at Anglesey barracks, reputed to be very haunted.

Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE