Not quite prepping...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crowman

Forager
Oct 27, 2009
derbyshire
Hi you mention you've got jerrycans for storing parrafin and unleaded , I've never known parrafin to go off but petrol does and this newer modern unleaded petrol goes off a lot quicker I've had it go bad in 6 months so its worth rotating this too .

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers, yet more stuff to consider. I'll plan on keeping the petrol for at most 3 months and get it when the forecast says the bad weathers a couple of days out, if it comes at all.

ATB

TOM

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
One thing is that some family members are on medical regimes that require daily pills they only dish out a month ahead and are prescription only.
Couple of tips with this:
1) If you haven't already, get prepayment cards. All decent pharmacies sell them. I have a 3-month one, costs £29 and all prescriptions during that three months are paid for.
2) Ask for a repeat before you've quite run out of pills. After a few months, you'll have built up a stock of spare.
3) Ask your doctor for a 'spare' scrip for winter, so you can specifically have some in stock in case you are cut off. It's no different to, say, someone going on a long holiday or business trip abroad, they'd have to take extra medication with them.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Regarding "payment cards" it's worth considering if you expect the electricity to go down. Remember, credit cards and debit cards are useless when the power's down; keep a supply of ready cash.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Prescription Prepayment cards are different santaman - they don't rely on electricity. They basically are just shown - they aren't a mag stripe or chip and pin type card,

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Prescription Prepayment cards are different santaman - they don't rely on electricity. They basically are just shown - they aren't a mag stripe or chip and pin type card,

Like old fashioned gift certificates then? Fair enough, but the cash is still a good idea for other general purchases. Assuming that there are still supplies in the shops to be purchased.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cash is a great idea. The pre-payments are plastic cards and mean that any pharmacy will fill any prescription free of charge until the card expires. All part of the NHS :). I pay just over £100 a year - and thats all the medicines I may need covered.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hugh i work away during the summer but since last winters flu kicked my bottom i now have my asthma back, could i use the prepay card at any pharmacy in the cou try to get an inhailer?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you have a prescription for it Southey, yes you can - no prescription fee. You do need the prescription for it to be free - if you are just buying it, its not free. But get your quack to put you on repeats for your ventolin and whatever and carry the spare script with you - then you are golden.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Excellent! Cheers Hugh, Yup now on repeats after running out last month and not being able to get to the docs, by the way anyone who has asthma an not on it alrèady ask your doc about Fostair, as i said my asthma has resurfaced after 20 years due to a bought of flu which sat on my lungs for a few months, so back onto the brown twice daily inhailer i went but had to use ventolin at least three times a day as well, had a consultation with the wheeze sister who changed me to this Fostair inhailer, since the second day i no longer need the ventolin at all (though always have one on me) and im back training to bring my fitness back on form. It also has an antihistamine element to it :D JURASSIC PARK!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE