Not quite a permission, but nearly

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Last year I discovered a Woodland Trust nature reserve fairly close to me. It is the site of a former stately home that was later used as a maternity hospital. I was born there. In 1973 it burned down. The Woodland Trust acquired the land, and a huge amount of planting has been done, of native trees and shrubs, with areas left for grassland. There is no real trace of the building any more, but and overgrown walled garden remains, and the orchard, now full of very mature apple and pear trees.

I fell in love with the place at my first visit, and found myself going back increasingly often, so I cn#ontacted the Woodland Trust about becoming a voluntary warden, on the basis that they may as well have the benefit of my visiting their site so often. They gave me an enthusiastic response (I'm an ecologist, field naturalist, and educationalist) and I'm meeting the site manager in the next week or so, but I am effectively the warden as of right now.

I've only ever seen people at the site once (they were a retired couple collecting windfall apples in the orchard), the views are rather good, there's a custom-made bat house on site, and the place will be absolutely fantastic in about 20 years time. The peacefulness of the place is immensely rewarding, and it just feels right to be looking after the place where I was born.

Now obviously I can't camp there, or make fires, as that would be against the Trust rules, but I can go there whenever I like. Being warden has already made me feel enormously responsible about the place, as if I want to get to know every tree individually, so that I can look after it. This is now my place. I was there today for several hours, just walking about and enjoying it, finding new paths and hidden corners. I came away with a bag of apples and pears too. I intend to do a night-time visit in the near future.

I'll be back tomorrow with my camera, and will put up some pictures. I also strongly recommend looking up your local Woodland Trust or Wildlife Trust and seeing what places they have in your area. If you have the time, these organisations are usually only too pleased to have someone keeping an eye out for their sites, so long as you don't abuse their rules. I have found some wonderful places ths way.

If anyone in the south-east Wales area wants a tour, I will be very happy to oblige.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
No idea. Yet. The site manager told me he saw Hawfinch there last week, which would be nice (I've never seen one), and the hope is to find Noble Chafer in the orchard, but to be honest apart from the orchard the site is more about what it will become than what it is at the moment.

Will do some surveys next year.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
'Citing stuff for sure. The bat house is very interesting. I used to be a bat-worker whilst doing my zoology degree in Reading.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
A concrete shed with slots for bats to get in, and padlocked iron gates to keep unwanted humans out. :) I'm yet to find out which bat species are known to use it, but I'm hopeful of Lesser Horseshoes, since there are concrete bunkers on the land belonging to the munitions factory next door that Lesser Horseshoes are known to use.

Might be the odd interesting spider too...

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Hi Harvestman, sound like you have a great opportunity to not only enjoy the woods, but help introduce folk to its beauty too.

I can foresee some night field work to survey the nocturnal creatures, as well as the day shift. You never know what you'll encounter.

I look forward to seeing your pictures

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Wow, what a great day. Went back to this site today. 72 acres it says, and has had 36,100 trees planted in it.

Anyway, was walking about slowly with the dog, when I flushed a short-eared owl from where it had been sitting on the ground. Utterly delighted, as I've only ever seen a short-eared owl once before (on Skomer island, off Pembrokeshire), but the flight of these birds is very distinctive, and I was close enough to get a really good look at it. No pics, as I was too startled. I watched it fly off, and then circle for a bit of height, when its path was crossed by a peregrine falcon. That was pretty special too, and I lost track of the owl.

The peregrine soon disappeared, so I wandered over to the field edge and took some pics of a yellow-berried holly. Then I was admiring some mistletoe when my eyes refocused and i realised that there was a barn owl sat in the tree, about 7 feet from my head, looking sleepily over its shoulder at me! it was in some pretty dense branches, and obviously felt safe, because it didn't try to move, and after a few minutes closed its eyes and went back to sleep. I got these shots:
IMGP0239.jpg
IMGP0240.jpg
IMGP0241.jpg
IMGP0242.jpg

What a 15 minutes that was!

I felt so priviledged that a completely wild bird would sit still with me looking at it from so close by, and not show any fear, even though I moved about a bit and was murmuring to myself in amazement. I will probably never get that close to a wild bird of prey again in my life, and turning and walking away after a few minutes was not an easy thing to do.

Sometimes, being outside is wonderfully rewarding. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE