not mine but very cool...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Yeah, I've been climbing up there loads... that just struck me as way cool!

I like that he got the north start dead bang in the middle of the pic too... it's a great shot.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
probably not merged photos - more likely a long exposure..

i've had a play in the past with stars and car trails:

startrailssmall.jpg

lighttrails1.jpg

lighttrails2.jpg

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
naah... it's a shortcoming of digital...

very long exposures ... 5 minutes plus... tend to heat up digital sensors and generate a fair bit of noise in the image. This image doesn't have any.

Also, there have been documented cases of people trying 20+ minute exposures and having their sensor go pop. pretty alarming.

Other than out and out resolution, it's the one edge film has over digital as film can easily deal with 5 hour exposures.

I have also seen some very nifty software for sorting out multiple exposures of stars at night. very cool stuff.

bikething

May 31, 2005
naah... it's a shortcoming of digital...

very long exposures ... 5 minutes plus... tend to heat up digital sensors and generate a fair bit of noise in the image. This image doesn't have any.

Also, there have been documented cases of people trying 20+ minute exposures and having their sensor go pop. pretty alarming.

Other than out and out resolution, it's the one edge film has over digital as film can easily deal with 5 hour exposures.

I have also seen some very nifty software for sorting out multiple exposures of stars at night. very cool stuff.
reading through the comments below the photo it looks like it was a 12 minute exposure at ISO 100 ;)

I know what you're saying about the noise though. The top picture of my 3 was about a 1 hour exposure IIRC in raw and the conversion software I was using did a pretty good job of removing the noise - unfortunately, converting to a small, heavily compressed jpeg to post it on here has put noise back into the shot :rolleyes:

was taken on a Canon 10D btw

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
well spank my left buttock and call me shirley... I could have sworn that part of the crag was at stanage plantation and would have taken longer than 10 minutes...

I guess that makes me even more wrong... still... I don't think I'd put my sensor at risk doing it that way.

http://www.startrails.de/html/software.html & http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/index.html

are free stacking utilities that won't risk damage to your sensor.

you win this round bikething... and it would have worked if it wasn't for those meddling kids!

bikething

May 31, 2005
still... I don't think I'd put my sensor at risk doing it that way.
longest I've tried for is 3 hours.... but the camera batteries went flat after 2 and a bit in the cold :rolleyes:

you win this round bikething... and it would have worked if it wasn't for those meddling kids!
:lmao:

look on the bright side - you've given me links to a couple of new bits of software to play with in the dark winter evenings - cheers for that :beerchug:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
aye... have fun with them... and be careful with your sensor mate... I have heard people saying it's a myth... and it is until your camera needs an expensive fix.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
The older cameras like the D70 are prone to the sensor overheating but it's been said that the newer ones are fine. I've done an hours exposure on the D200 and it was fine. If you are planning on long exposures, consider getting a battery pack or an a grip that allows you to add an extra battery, long exposures require a lot of juice.

Nice pic Squidders :)

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
I took this a few nights ago, small plane flying by, bit pixely as i had the iso set too high,
2008_1206moon0159.jpg

Not light painting but a 20 second exposure, i like the colouring against the trees
2008_1206moon0148.jpg

Taken last year camping, i like messing around light painting.
2008_0211fun0112.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE