Norwich and Norfolk group?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
just an idea,
I know many people from the surrounding area would find Norwich a good base for events anyone interested.

this is not to oppose the east anglian group, i feel no reason to be apart from it just it might be easier for some folks without transport to get to camps or events if stuff was in a more local area.

big respect goes out to fenlander and others that have helpped organise events camps walks ect and generally get things going in the region.

please a show of hands for anyone local to Norwich that would like to meet up?

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I too, I'm a similar position as transport and distance to travel is an issue, day and over nighters, excellent idea . I am up for it, couldn't go this weekend Fenlander due to the Easter with family.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
hi damascus.

nice to here from you!
it would be great to get a regular meeting in the area are you up for it?

i know of 2 reasonably local bushcrafty campsites.

and also due to lots of conservation work know of places to legitimately get wood sources from and good places to explore, in and around the norwich area.

i shall pm you any details when they come up!

cheers
Richard

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i suggest we meet for a couple of hours just to meet each other first, how about a meet up at mousehold heath on the afternoon of:
28th, 29th, or 30th April?

just a walk bring food or dirnk if you want
i shall bring my small stove bring yours if you wish!
last time i meet people there, R-bowskill was making a fishing net strung between 2 trees, also a good place to try setting up hammocks, tarps etc
so anthing goes really!

no "bushcraft" equipment or clothing needed, just yourself sensible clothing and footwear(you will get muddy).

we are all at different stages of learning, so don't feel you have to be an expert at anything, if you want to demonstrate anything we will be happy to watch and join in!

please reply so we can figure out the best time to meet! :You_Rock_

Cheers
RAPPLEBY2000

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I got your message rappleby, I have had problems logging on since it went slow the other day. Replied to you message but the system would not let me send it, so this is to say it has not been ignored, will reply when I get it sorted. :nutkick:

Reactions: RAPPLEBY2000

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
no probs,

i've had problems with my computer for years!

you can always E-mail me if you wish (RAPPLEBY2000@YAHOO.CO.UK)

it might be easier.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
if you are in the area i'm up at Dunston common (near Dunston hall, south Norwich) this afternoon(1-4PM), doing some Bushcraft demo's for a local group called "Norwich fringe project" they're doing an easter egg hunt day,
if you're there come and say hi!

cronos

Tenderfoot
Nov 6, 2005
Norfolk
I’ll be up for some meet up’s in the summer months. I don’t get a lot of chance to get back to Martham, as I work in Germany, but if there is any thing going on in the summer months I would love to attend.

Cronos

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Of course I am always up for a meet, and the more local the more I will be likely to be able to attend.

Not sure about this idea of 'groups'. The way I see it meets should be advertised as part of a locality - and the more local to a particular person the more likely they are to read it. I presume this is what you mean by a group - i.e. rather than a distinct set of people.

Should be OK for mousehold heath.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
"group" meaning gathering of people or collective.

i am as happy to include anyone in the area that wants to join us.

the east anglian group is fantastic but quite a wide area and too far for some to travel(logisticlly we haven't got the transport).

good to know so many of you are still around and up for some jolly bushcrafting japes!

by the way does anyone know how R-bowskill is?,

i haven't seen him since we met at mousehold heath.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Back again,
just come back from 4 days working at woodland survival crafts,
loads of leaf litter shelter building,
friction firelighting,
plant collecting, bannock bread making
rain, mud, and woodsmoke! ahh the life...... :rolleyes:

i even tried making a pot, i found some clay in the ground and made a little oven cooked it untill, pop! it cracked, still glad i tried it though.

also made a small shelter with birch bark tiles(shingles), i shall bring photos when we meet.

rich.

jem seeley

Tenderfoot
Sep 7, 2004
framlingham suffolk
"too far for some to travel"?with the greatest respect Rappleby the 'East Anglian Group' was never intended to be a group that only met at one venue.Kevin,& to a lesser extent myself,kick started this by organising weekends around the Bury area because Kevin had found a suitable site that was easy to check out & set up because of his proximity to it.( I,as a matter of fact, have an hour long journey to get their).We had both hoped that once the impetus had started then other people would be able to network and organise meets throughout the region.Unfortunately this has not really happened which is a shame.I am delighted that you are organising some meets in the Norwich area(which is really only an hour away from me!)but feel a tad offended that you make the distinction of it being a Norwich & Norfolk group. :confused: Yes ,I might not be able to make all the Norfolk meets but this doesn't mean I'm not interested in heading over the border once in a while to make the most of the local knowledge.I know,Kevin for one would love to go to a meet that he hasn't had to organise,publicise and demonstrate on.So all power to your elbow,Rap ....lets all try to share the load a bit more! :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:)
Hi jim,
i am very sorry i think i have worded things insensitively, (please forgive me)no offence ment.

there are a few people local to the Norwich area so,
it might be good to start another group anyway,
in a sense of spreading the bushcraft word.
for example it would be silly to organise a quick pint and walk for the whole of the east anglia region, where a few days camp everyone is encouraged to join in.

from the start of this thread i have said that Norwich/Norfolk group is part of the east anglia group, no grudges, nothing personal, no hidden agenda, i just want to expand Bushcraft in an this area, and also there are a few local members that have found getting to organised events difficult.

anyone is welcome to join us!

i hope i have answered your qestions clearly and hope you forgive me for any misplaced insensitivity which certainly was never meant.

Cheers Richard.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
a meet up mousehold heath

under the big tree in the restaurant carpark,
oposite the playing/footy field(with the white bandstand)

is 29th this saturday ok with you guy's shall we go for a 1pm meet?

bring food if you want, i'm bringing my brew kit/shelter kit.
loads to see and do. i might even bring my boy he loves an adventure!

no specific outfit just outdoor clothes jeans and t-shirt if you want.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I shall do my best to be there. That's if I don't get lost. It's been many years since I've been up Mousehold way :) .

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
cool,
good to know you can make it at last!
it'll be great to meet you!

Rory are you out there?
do come along if you can! :You_Rock_

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
hi anyone else is welcome to join us.
we shall wait till 1:10pm.

i'll have a green rucksack look forward to meeting you!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE