Norwich and Norfolk group new thread!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
R

RayS

Hi Guys

Like Sam I would also be interested in any future meets.

I am a "newbee" to the bushcraft scene, but I am quite keen having attended one of Fenlander's excellent intros to bushcraft days last saturday. There were only 2 of us plus Fenlader, so we almost got 1 to 1 tuition! We spent about 7 hours there in the forest and the course was great value, very practically oriented (which I needed!) and covered fire making (with flint/steel, firesteel, and the bowdrill.), shelter building, cordage, knife & axe craft, campcraft and so on. With the bowdrill I got as far as producing smoke but no ember but it was raining all afternoon so my excuse was that everything was pretty damp! No problems with the flint or swedish firesteel methods though!

I've done some camping before but not quite the same thing as bushcraft which I am really keen to learn and I am now in process of getting a few things together like a knife, saw, basha etc On the subject of bashas I was pretty impressed with Fenlander's Hennessey Hexfly but I know there are alternatives like the Ex military version, Tatonka etc - what are your opinions?

I guess I'm old enough to be the father of most of you, recently retired (!) and living in Mid Suffolk, but in the apparent absence of a current East Anglian group or a Sufffolk group, I hope its OK to join the "Narfok" crew?
Cheers
Ray

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Hi Ray
Nice to see more people coming forward. Dont worry about the age - you're as old as you feel - I had a good ten years on 'em all at the last meet !
Ref Tarps - I have a Hennesy Hex that is a surplas from my hammocking experiments. I have used this for tarping a fair bit.
The pro's are 1) It is very roomy and allows you to get all your gear underneath in inclement weather. 2) It's relatively light for the coverage given.
Cons are 1) Not enough guying points. This makes the tarp flap alot in anything above a breeze so you have to be careful with site location. I have an older one that I use for tarping with eight guying points around the edge but the newer one that I use for the hammock has only six (but one less seam). This size of tarp could really do with some mid-face 'lifter' guys similar to that found on a Golite Cave. This of course is not a big DIY job - just one I havn't got round to doing!

I believe Biddlesby was using one of the group by Tatonka tarps at the last meet - he may want to comment on this. It looked pretty good to me and is certainly something I would consider if I was renewing mine.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Welcome To BCUK and the Norfolk group. We don't mind you southerners coming up to play. And don't worry about being a newbie, we are all learning :)
On the tarp front, the Tatonka tarps are great, I think the group buy is now closed (I just slipped in at the last moment after seeing Biddlesbys at the last meet). But even if you have to pay full price I think they are worth it.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Best thing to do seeing as we're all in the learning boat, so to speak is to try evertything and get opinions, which is what you are already doing!
prehaps at our next meet i'm thinking a few hours at a weekend somewhere local we can all bring a different tarp /poncho/ basha/ etc and prehaps different hammocks so we can set the lot up, and have a good look at them all! a sort of mini tarp/hammock show for ourselves.

oh, and Hi from me too!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:rolleyes:
"if you ever see an enuendo turning up in conversation the best thing to do is to whip it out!"

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
:rolleyes:
"if you ever see an enuendo turning up in conversation the best thing to do is to whip it out!"
Just don't start waving your great big firesteel about again :lmao:

lord lurcher

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
norwich, norfolk
Sounds good to mee! I'm yet to purchase a serious tarp and would def welcome the opportunity to evaluate the different tarps going. Snufkin, i had a weekend out this last weekend and tried the steel you gave me WKD mate very useful addition to my kit, big thanks! Gear guru if you're still after a knife handle let me know and i'll p.m. you a list of what i've got and if you like i'll send to you. Looking forward to the next meet!

cronos

Tenderfoot
Nov 6, 2005
Norfolk
Hi guys.
Just got back in the UK again for a week or so and it looks like I have missed some good trip out, I’ll keep my eye open for future developments.
It good to see that the Norwich and Norfolk group is go strong. Any plans for a winter meet?

Jason

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
cronos said:
Hi guys.
Just got back in the UK again for a week or so and it looks like I have missed some good trip out, I’ll keep my eye open for future developments.
It good to see that the Norwich and Norfolk group is go strong. Any plans for a winter meet?

Jason
Hopefully we'll keep the meetups going throughout the year, so keep an eye on the thread.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi Cronos! :D
long time no hear!
come along when you can!

I am a bit tied up at present (a couple of weeks)but i'll be organising something else soon, feel free to meet up without me.

By the way thanks again to Snufkin for my steel, i have used it for demonstration purposes already! :You_Rock_
(i haven't used your spit roasted crab apple recipie :lmao: :yuck: )

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
Hi Cronos! :D
long time no hear!
come along when you can!

I am a bit tied up at present (a couple of weeks)but i'll be organising something else soon, feel free to meet up without me.

By the way thanks again to Snufkin for my steel, i have used it for demonstration purposes already! :You_Rock_
(i haven't used your spit roasted crab apple recipie :lmao: :yuck: )
Hey, they were slightly under ripe admittedly, but you could live off them :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i spose you could use them.. if there's someone you don't like.... :lmao:

by the way i made some half decent, rowan/blackberry jam whilst away, have a go, pick the ripest you can 1/3 rowan berry, 2/3 blackberry, boil it in water, boil the water off, till just fruit pulp left add sugar 2 tablespoons (ish) and re-boil till melted and serve (wait till it's cool :eek: )

also rosebay willow herb's seed/fluff is ready to collect, and there are many fruits in the plum family that are ripe! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE