Norway - advice wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
I've fancied going to Scandinavia and am considering going to Norway this summer. Probably in June and probably for a month or so. Does Norway have any long distance marked footpaths?
Do people have any particular recommendations of places to visit?
I'm planning to hammock camp and go lightweight.
Are bugs a problem in the summer?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Hardangervidda in the south is wonderful. Trails - yes. But go off trail, use a good map and your compass. I hate trails as they can be muddy if wet, and you risk meeting other people.

The mountains between northern half of Sweden and Norway have plenty of wellmarked trails, and some cabins.
All of Norway and most of Sweden is a paradise to walk in.
Most scenic? Northern Norway including my Eden on Earth, the Lofoten Islands.

I did a two weeker from Å ( southernmost habited village in Lofoten) up to Andenes many years ago. Best trip I have ever done. Fell in love with Lofoten, badly. Really badly!

Mosquitos? And gnats/ blackflies, which are even worse! Trillions, all aiming for a snack that is you!
Pack a mosquito net, hat and a proper repellant based on tar.
Not sure what you mean with Lightweight, you need to pack enough for emergencies like storms. Snow storms summertime do happen.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
As you write that you do want to do a one month trip means you want to be able to resupply, correct?
You should be able to do about 25 - 30 km a day as the raven flies on average if off road and off trail.
A little bit more if you choose to use the roads a bit.
Bridges/ tunnels between the islands.
So maybe 700 kilometers in total?

I would recommend you start in Å, then walk north, all the way to Kiruna in Sweden.
Or do Kungs leden in Sweden, but start south of it, walk it then continue to the North East. Kungs leden is close to 300 miles long, well marked, with huts where you can resupply a bit. Of course, plenty of people walk it, as it is a quite easy to walk.

Remember, you can walk on all land in Sweden and Norway, state, church or private.
Check out the swedish " Allemans rätten" online. Norway has a similar law.

Last edited:

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
Thanks for the useful replies. If I'm camping out would a Summer bag with 500g of down (+ clothes worn inside the bag) be sufficiently warm? I know it's a 'how long is a piece of string' question. I generally sleep quite warm. And I assume there could be a massive temp difference between the S of the country and the extreme North.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes if you sleep dressed, away from wind and on an insulating surface.
Like a closed cell foam mat. In a forest I would also put down small branches from pine trees under the mat.

But if you are in the mountain and a snow storm blows up - can be a problem unless you know what to do. But that is unlikely.

What is your experience?

edit; if you are not so experienced I would recommend you do marked trails only.
Plenty of them, and they are placed in beautiful locations.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
For safety, I always carry maps in case I need to change route. Remember, the Scandinavian mountains are classified as Tundra, so expect the worst.
A hammock might be of limited use, you need sturdy trunk (trees) to fix it on, something that can be difficult to find.
I have used a closed cell foam underlay, sleeping bag and the outside tent of my ancient Fjallraven 2 man tent on all my Scandinavian treks and fishing trips. All year round. The reason I used only the outside tent is to save weight, and it is water proof.
4 aluminium pegs only. The supports I usually found at site, if none around I just improvised or used it as a blanket. On wet ground ( plenty of that there) I rolled myself inside the sleeping bag in it so I did not get wet.

You will enjoy it.

But I still recommend the Lofotens. The natural beauty there is unbelievable!

Fly to Oslo, then Bodo. Ferry across. Easy!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE