Northern Lights

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
Greetings

Over the past couple of years I have observed some phenomenal displays of the aurora, however, try as I might I have not been able to record this with my camera. Currently I am using a Nikon D200 and have access to a wide range of manual and AF lenses.

It seems that the digital sensor simply does not have adequate sensitivity in very low light conditions. At present I have tried numerous (but incorrect) combinations of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO.

Could anyone provide insight into this situation?

Thanks in advance.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Aurora-LH.jpg

I can give you some good advice on what not to do.

Do not rely on the image on the cameras monitor to judge your exposure.

I was treated to a great display a couple of years ago in Lofoten and botched the job badly in my excitement.

I was working on a tripod which was good and had the aperture wide open and the lens focussed at infinity, also good.

The problem was I was working so fast I trusted the image on the cameras display instead of checking the histogram. I neglected to consider that because I was working in the dark, the image looked much brighter than it really was.

The results were underexposed and very noisy as a result. This was the best of the bunch but doesn't really stand up to much enlargement. :(

It's a mistake I'll never make again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE