Northern Lights pics????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Guys,

whats the best way to take pics of the Northern Lights?

What sort of exposure times should I be looking at?

Any advice would be helpful

cheers

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
This is a spankingly good question - i was up in north norway last year and while did get some snaps to remind me they dont do it justace.
Something i didnt know is that the cycle of lights goes in an 8 year fluctuation. I think now is near the 'bottom' of the curve in relation to the amount and frequency of their occurance. There are some really good websites run from a canadian university but that cover all northern activity and forecast very accurately the time locations and the intensity.

This is a spankingly good question - i was up in north norway last year and while did get some snaps to remind me they dont do it justace.
Something i didnt know is that the cycle of lights goes in an 8 year fluctuation. I think now is near the 'bottom' of the curve in relation to the amount and frequency of their occurance. There are some really good websites run from a canadian university but that cover all northern activity and forecast very accurately the time locations and the intensity.
Its actually 11 years...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cycle
Yes activities near the minimum now. I saw an article saying that its actually slightly delayed in climbing back up but can't find the link now.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Can you shoot loads of vid and then take some stills from the footage. Probably not the best quality though.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I tried on loads of exposures, closest I got was a green tinge... I was in the middle of a frozen lake, zero light pollution tripod, remote shutter release and still no joy meh :(

This is one of the circumstances where film should out perform digital. Very long exposure on a normal digital camera often leads to excessive digital noise, which looks like heavy film grain, and will reduce detail and colour rendition in the image.
Film doesn't suffer from this effect, however unlike digital you will be battling with reciprocity. Which in a nutshell means longer and longer shutter times give disproportionately less and less actual exposure.
Time to dig that old 35mm out of the cupboard?

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I tried on loads of exposures, closest I got was a green tinge... I was in the middle of a frozen lake, zero light pollution tripod, remote shutter release and still no joy meh :(

Did you try cranking up the ISO to shoot shorter exposures as randomly moving lights would I expect turn to one big blur like moving water.

Depending on your camera noise can be dealt with though it doubles to exposure time.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Aurora-LH.jpg

First of all, do not rely on the screen of your camera to tell you if the exposure is correct. You will be standing in the dark, with dark adapted eyes, and the image will appear lighter than it really is.

Use the histogram function on your camera, shoot in raw and make sure the exposure is right up towards the right hand end of the histogram. The image will look too bright but can be adjusted in the raw converter.

If your images are underexposed you will get results rendered unusable by noise so better to make sure the sensor receives as much light as possible. Open your aperture right up for the lights and if necessary take a separate shot to render the foreground detail.

Exposures will vary considerably but will be several seconds in most cases. A tripod is essential, if you don't have one, put your camera away and just enjoy looking at them.

Good luck, it's a magical experience if you see them.

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Many thanks folks, all the advise will be put into use.

I hope the Canon G9 and gorilla pod combo does the trick, although will have to rest it on the rucsac to get a stable platform on which to rest the pod.

Wayland: very useful advise, many thanks; didn't think of using the histogram and overexposing the exposure. Should i dial in an exposure time, or leave it to the camera?

jamalex

Jan 27, 2010
Halifax
Its actually 11 years...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cycle
Yes activities near the minimum now. I saw an article saying that its actually slightly delayed in climbing back up but can't find the link now.

It's actually a combination of a seven year cycle and an eleven year cycle which depend on the earth's wobble and movement around the sun.

Check out the thread on needing a real map rather than GPS.

Also, do you always take a tripod out with you or do you fudge it when you need a long exposure at dusk/dawn?

It's actually a combination of a seven year cycle and an eleven year cycle which depend on the earth's wobble and movement around the sun.

Check out the thread on needing a real map rather than GPS.

Also, do you always take a tripod out with you or do you fudge it when you need a long exposure at dusk/dawn?

Thanks for the clarification. I was just referring to the 11 cycle of sunspot activity, rather than the other factors at work, but good point.

Tripod carrying or not really depends on how important a part of your trip the photography is I suppose.

jamalex

Jan 27, 2010
Halifax
Good point! I don't get chance to go out specifically to take photos, just with my small children, and then you see something and think what a great photo it would make.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Many thanks folks, all the advise will be put into use.

I hope the Canon G9 and gorilla pod combo does the trick, although will have to rest it on the rucsac to get a stable platform on which to rest the pod.

Wayland: very useful advise, many thanks; didn't think of using the histogram and overexposing the exposure. Should i dial in an exposure time, or leave it to the camera?

If your G9 is anything like my G10 you will probably have to go manual or Shutter priority "Tv" to get long enough exposures as the Program and Aperture priority settings cop out of setting shutter speeds that cannot be hand held.

Dace

Oct 12, 2004
Kent
Hi
Try this guys website http://foto.kskogli.no/ went on one of his trips with wife and kids and it was superb, our camera did not work, so he allowed us to use his with my memory card, kids took loads, camers setting was 10s F2 iso400 or 6s F1.8 if that means anything.
Would post one but do not know how to.

alecf

Forager
Jun 7, 2009
Nr Reading
ocean1_20100217120320.jpg

Found that one on the royal navy website today!

Whilst conducting Cold Weather Amphibious Warfare Training within the beautiful Fjords of Northern Norway, 150 miles north of the Arctic Circle, HMS Ocean's photographer was able to capture this stunning image of the Northern Lights shimmering above the Helicopter Carrier's Flight Deck.

Im currently in the process of applying to the RFA and so if successful, may hopefully find myself shipping troops and gear up to norway and get to experience a scene like that myself!

Alec

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE