Norrona Military Rucksacks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Hi All,

Just a quick question.

After following the resent threads on the Sabre 45 etc. I have been looking at several different Packs.

I have at present a good and in expensive 50ltr and will be getting a smaller 35ltr later this summer but next year I have some long and hopfully distant trips to colder climates in the pipe line. I was looking at the Para 120 rucksack on the Norrona website.

Has anyone got one of these and are they really worth the €600 or so euro? Are there any cheaper alternatives?

As I said not need till next year and after so I have time to save.

Your advice as always is appreciated.

James

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I have had a Berghaus Vulcan for about 10 years and it humped some SERIOUS weight when I was in the army. They are one of the most durable and comfortable bergens available.
They are popular with many of the armed forces - 1000% better than the PLCEbackbreaker.
You can see them on TV - the re-run of the Telemark Heroes. They are carried by the Royal Marine Mountain Leaders in the programme.
You can buy them from http://www.edirectory.co.uk/penrith_survival/pages/default.asp?recordid=BCFG&cid=55
and at £160 they are cheaper than a Norrona.

While you are at Penrith buy a 35L Berghaus Munro too! Another fantastic bit of kit.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I'd second the Berghaus Vulcan ... comfortable, spacious, robust and versatile. A superb bit of kit and by far my favorite!

I understand your trust in the Vulcan, it's a nice piece of kit. But for a student such as myself, £160 is just a Bit too much!

Do you know of anywhere that do it cheaper? (I know, a silly question...!)

Si :-D

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Don't remember where I got mine from but I didn't pay anything near to that much for it ... and it was new. I'm thinking that it was an end of line from Ellis Brigham ...

Trick I find is to have a shortlist of kit you want and look for bargains!

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Have a look on ebay, I`ve seen Berghaus Cyclops Roc (80 odd litres I think) on there. Not as big as a Vulcan but just as well made.
I bought one at a car boot years back, it has some blokes Army name on it and has been very well used - but still does the job :)

I have the Vulcan and reckon its fantastic - makes a day sack with the side pouches too !

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive seen three brand new norrona pararanger packs pop up on ebay during the last year.
They went for £103 each. So the six hundred euro seems a bit extortinate.
Although Id have thought the external frame one was a better option?

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Thanks Guys

Loads of advice there. In fact I had looked at the Vulcan only a week ago They had on on display in the store window and seemed a great peice of kit. £160.00 is roughly what it cost but they did have anymore in stock at time. (just as well really for my wallet)

They told me they would have them back in few weeks but I am going to try my local guy he is usually a bit cheaper.

Thanks Again for all the advice.

James

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I have a Norrona Hadeng La, 120 litre, external frame,built like a tank but for carrying bulky or heavy loads it's brilliant, very comfortable and worth every penny of the £290 price, provided you use it often enough to warrant the price, far better than the PLCE I used to have.

PEDRO

Jan 26, 2004
NORTH YORKSHIRE
SquirrelBoy said:
Have a look on ebay, I`ve seen Berghaus Cyclops Roc (80 odd litres I think) on there. Not as big as a Vulcan but just as well made.
I bought one at a car boot years back, it has some blokes Army name on it and has been very well used - but still does the job :)

I have the Vulcan and reckon its fantastic - makes a day sack with the side pouches too !

have a roc for sale ...pedro.....

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I used to have a cyclops crusader which I bought very second hand and used for several years before selling on. It was the model before the vulcan with a not so good back system. The only fault I ever found was that I would always fill the 100 litres which made it heavy!!

The best feature imho was that it had a haul loop on the front as well as the back which more rucksacs could do with as it made it much eaiser to pick up for a short distance or to lift it into a car etc.

I don't know if they are available anymore as Berghaus haven't made them for a long time now. I don't even see them on ebay and that says something.

Bill

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
I’ve previously been interested in the old Norrona external frame military pack, as well as the Hadeng La, 120 litre, external frame pack, which gets a mention by Steve. However, they don’t seem to show external frame packs on their website any more, does anyone know if they’re still making them?

I ended up buying a Vulcan, which as others have commented is excellent. One of the main reasons for this, as well as the price difference was the weight differential. The Vulcan weighs in at around 2.8kg, whereas the Norrona military packs/external frame packs are all about double that. Quite a difference when you’re carrying it!

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
In case anyone still following this thread, Highlander used to do a Forces 100 sac which appears to be a carbon copy of the Berghaus Vulcan, but half the price. I'm thinking of getting one, so any comments?

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Wink said:
In case anyone still following this thread, Highlander used to do a Forces 100 sac which appears to be a carbon copy of the Berghaus Vulcan, but half the price. I'm thinking of getting one, so any comments?

I just got the Highlander Forces 33 and if the build quality on their 100ltr jobbie is as good, I think it may even be better than a Vulcan :shock:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE