None wool socks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Hi All,

I am allergic to wool and because of this I have always used Thorlo's but I find that these don't ware very well ( I tend to ware out the heal) and was wondering if you have any recommendations for good hard-wearing none wool socks.

Christopher

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
1000 Mile Socks make a version that is wholly synthetic, and they also do one where the inner part is Tactel and the outer contains wool. Possibly a good compromise for you. I rather like them, but if you prefer a padded sock then you might find them a little thin. These socks are composed of two layers, essentially a sock within a sock, to prevent blisters and make the sock last longer.

Tilley Endurables do an extremely comfy travel sock, again a bit thin if you like padding, guaranteed not to wear out for a couple of years. Exceptional fit, but they contain polypro and so do tend to whiff a bit.

I've heard good things about Brasher's synthetic socks, but not tried them myself. I did buy a pair of Rohan's synthetic hikers, which I'm sorry to say I found to be very baggy and prone to feeling unpleasantly slick and clammy after a bit of walking.

In the past I've tried Thorlos but I was never taken with them. In fact these days I use 100% wool socks, pretty much the things I started hiking with, despite having tried all sorts of different synthetics, but luckily wool doesn't seem to bother me. The only synthetic hiking socks I can really recommend are the 1000 Milers, but try the ones with the wool outer if you can - the inner sock should keep it away from your skin - because they are much warmer.

My usual hiking partner swears by M&S cotton socks - and he stuck by this even through a completely soaked and chilly week on Skye. Can't stand the things myself, but there we are, spice of life and all that.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Is this a bonafide allergy or are you merely sensitive to the scratchiness? There are so many treatments of wool it is possible one may be the cause of your problem. Type of wool may also be a factor. You can quickly take the itch out of wool socks by gently washing them in a shampoo containing a hair relaxer or straightener. You might also consider a silk sock liner.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Chris,

I have not had wool allergy test, but have had others e.g. penicillin, asthma etc. and some of my business suites have wool in them but are fully lined. But if I wear wool in direct skin contact I get inflammation and small (pin point/head) blisters. I have tried in the liner socks in the past but they tend to ruck and blister but I do think it might be time to try again to see if I can get on with these new super wools or silk liners in-case it was just the treatment.

Thanks,

Christopher

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
ChrisKavanaugh said:
Is this a bonafide allergy or are you merely sensitive to the scratchiness?

I find the scratchiness of wool drives me round the twist - I couldn't wear the old-style army shirts as a result. I'd love to know if there's anything can be done about a Swanndri, as they look like fantastically useful pieces of kit, but the fabric makes my skin crawl...

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

With Regard to the Swanndri comment.

I have one of the swanni's from the smart wear range. The fabric is different from the 'classic' swanndri. and not so rough so therefore possibly not so itchy. It's just as well made as the classic garments and just as hard wearing.

cheers

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE