Non-Miswak Toothbrush.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Apparently, gargling with a tannic acid tea is very good for oral hygeine (according to Tom Brown). Does this mean that you could use an Oak twig as a good toothbrush in this country (I think Oak is high in tannic acid isnt it).

Stu

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Im not sure about tannin, but it may work as its an acid, however, isnt it the tannin in tea that stains your teeth?
The victorians used to gargle with urine. Italian male was the most popular. apparently it DOES actually work!
My granddad used to use coal soot and salt, and he won a competition as a kid for having the whitest teeth in the class.

M

mob257774

Coal soot and salt does work, but it is abrasive enough to takethe enamel off your teeth with repeated use.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Its actualy what TWIGS can be used as a toothbrush that I am interested in. It would take alot of processing to aquire salt.

Cheers anyway guys.

not if you have access to the sea, just put some water in a dish and wait for it to evaporate, leaving the salt.

as for twigs, apparently there are several african trees that you can use, but obviously that's not so helpful to us up here.

however, there is good news. according to this article- http://www.seneweb.com/news/article/10848.php - you can see that chewing sticks tend to have 3 things in common; they have an antibacterial liquid inside, contain fluoride, and have stringy fibres for flossing. it seems to me that oak probably wouldn't have all of these. maybe there's a site somewhere that has more in-depth analysis of british trees?

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I have been using miswak sticks for a couple of months now to great effect no build of plaque my teeth are less sensitive and appear whiter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE