Non Hairy Deerskins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Hello all,

Fairly new to the forum here (posted briefly in the kit chatter section!) so hello to all :)

I used to do my share of leatherwork a few years ago and fancy getting started again.

I am after some tanned deerskins and so far my internet searches have only come up with hair on hides.

Anyone have any sources for (preferably naturally tanned) deerskins?

All the best

Dave

leon-1

Hello all,

Fairly new to the forum here (posted briefly in the kit chatter section!) so hello to all :)

I used to do my share of leatherwork a few years ago and fancy getting started again.

I am after some tanned deerskins and so far my internet searches have only come up with hair on hides.

Anyone have any sources for (preferably naturally tanned) deerskins?

All the best

Dave

I don't know if they will be naturally tanned, but how many do you need??

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
I am looking for enough to do some pouch work to start with.

I made some scabbard covers for some medieval swords years ago so not really sure where I will be going with it all.

When I said naturally tanned, I didnt really mean brain tanned in a pit by indiginous peoples or anything like that, just a veg tan or similar would be preferable.

What did you have in mind?

All the best

Dave

ForestNH/VT

Sep 6, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Search for "Buckskin" as opposed to "Deerskin" and I believe you will have more luck. Deerskin usually refers to tanned, hair on; Buckskin to tanned, hair off. (at least here in the US, YMMV)

Forest

Strangely enough just succeeded in finding the very thing myself this week from Carbisdale skins

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/khamblet/

They have both hair on and hair off skins - I bought some rawhide and a buckskin from a red deer hind from them this week. Not sure about the tanning method though - you'd have to ask. They are away from 8th to 30th September though so you'll need to get your skates on if you want anything before then.

Cheers

Gerry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE