NON BUSHCRAFT- Internet explorer 7 users note

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Not Bushcrafty at all but as we use our PC's to access this site.

Any one who has upgraded their browser to internet explorer 7 recently will have noticed the addition of a "phishing" filter to check web pages. An excellent idea but in true Microsoft style it can cause XP users to experience a massive drop in speed and peformance on web pages when using it
.A quote from the article i read about this patch:

"With the huge increase in phishing attacks, one of the big 'selling' points for IE 7 has been the protection against these attacks the new browser is said to offer.

However, it has been found the feature that flags up fraudulent websites that try to con consumers out of their personal details can also slow down computers running Windows XP."

A quote from Microsoft highlights the problem as:

"When you use Windows Internet Explorer 7 to visit a web page, the computer may respond very slowly as the Phishing Filter evaluates web page contents.

"Internet Explorer 7 evaluates the whole web page when you browse a frame. Therefore, CPU (central processing unit) usage may be very high."

A patch is available from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928089

This needs to be a manual patch as at the moment it is not included in the normal updates. You will notice a massive increase in speed immediately.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Many many thanks for that.......I got internet explorer 7 the other day, and my pooter has not stopped making clicking noises since. I even stopped using explorer and started using firefox, because I kept on getting timed out on new pages...........

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
Thanks Arkangel,
I used your link and found that I had two options, download the patch or disable the filter in internet settings. I went for the second option, have you any idea what the patch does, does it make the filter quicker or just disable it?

Paul

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
P@ul said:
Thanks Arkangel,
I used your link and found that I had two options, download the patch or disable the filter in internet settings. I went for the second option, have you any idea what the patch does, does it make the filter quicker or just disable it?

Paul

It makes the filter quicker.

Basically the non-patched version either times out your web page or slows it down when loading web pages. It also uses up a high portion of your processor power so slowing down your whole PC.

It is a useful tool for extra internet security so i would advise loading the patch and using the filter.

I believe the figures are impressive...a 1000% increase in the speed of the filter! :eek:

Good old Microsoft......always at the cutting edge.....after all there aren't too many people using Windows XP yet.....are there? :lmao:

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
ArkAngel said:
It makes the filter quicker.

Basically the non-patched version either times out your web page or slows it down when loading web pages. It also uses up a high portion of your processor power so slowing down your whole PC.

It is a useful tool for extra internet security so i would advise loading the patch and using the filter.

I believe the figures are impressive...a 1000% increase in the speed of the filter! :eek:

Good old Microsoft......always at the cutting edge.....after all there aren't too many people using Windows XP yet.....are there? :lmao:

Sounds like good advice, I'll download it now.

Thanks Paul

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
EdS said:
dumb question - but since someone reinstalled XP on my machine I'm not 100% sure which version it is. How ca nI find out -idiot guide please.
Try going into 'My Computer' and click on System Information. That should tell you, well it does on my PC. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE