noisy roof racks!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
iv put some on my van, just a basic two bar job for a ladders. problem is when i go over 50mph they make this humming noise which becomes an ear splitting scream when i get to 60! :eek:

its not a huge problem as i go don't thrash my van everywhere but there's no need to potter allong at 50 on dual carriageways:(

is there anything that can be done to stop it? i was thinking of maby loosly raping them in cloth or something:confused:

thanks
pete

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
A) Turn Radio Up Louder.

B)Take them Off. And you save yourself the extra fuel cost.

C) Or , more helpful answer , have a look at them and see if you can cover up the 'void' channels with duct tape or sim.

HTH

PS I suffer the same , and end up taking them off and on depending on loading requirements. Time consuming but no noise.

Last edited:

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
Are there plugs in the ends of the bars?
Could try moving the bars aft a bit, otherwise a fairing might work.:)
yakima_roof_rack_wind_fairing.jpg

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
iv heard those fairings don't help much:dunno:

how about wedging some wood blocks between the racks and the roof?:thinkerg: do you think this will this stop them vibrating?

pete

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
iv heard those fairings don't help much:dunno:

how about wedging some wood blocks between the racks and the roof?:thinkerg: do you think this will this stop them vibrating?

pete

Yeah, fairings are hit or miss depending on vehicle and set-up. I used to sell and install roof racks, some vehicle/rack combo's were awful noisey. Sometimes nothing would work and the customer would return the $600 rack system....4 hours of selling, explaining and installing down the drain:(.
:dunno: , experiment I guess or as mentioned, turn the music up!

As an aside, if you're using webbing straps to secure cargo on a vehicle, put a twist into the strap to keep it from vibrating at speed.

GlenM

Forager
Jan 11, 2006
Cornwall
I used to get the same problem with my canoe , in the end it was the straps causing the noise. If you put some twists in the straps it dissapears. I'm not saying it will be the same for you but try it !!

Glen

Paul72

Nomad
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Ireland
I had a similar problem wih mine. I soon found that if there were any holes in the frame then I had to cover them with duct tape and it stopped. It was the wind acting on the holes that made the whole thing sound like a loud flute at 60mph! :aargh4:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I have had 3 vans, and had this problem on my(don't laugh)suzuki carry. But it only happend when unloaded, so i just took them off when not in use. I now have a toyota hiace, and only fit the bars when needed, but they don't make any noise.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE