No-one camps till April....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jakunen

Native
So, just drove to a camping shop near work to buy a new stove for tomorrow's camp as I can't find mine.
Saw gas, meths, repair kits but no stoves.

Me: Excuse me, but where are your stoves?
Snobby shop assistant: We don't stock any until the end of March. No-one goes camping before then.

Was so tempted to say "well why the ... are you open then?!"

I've worked in a few camping shops and even during 'off season' we still kept a few essential items people may need. At least Millets still stock 'out of season' items thankfully...

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
You're obviously not a true camper then, as you should have shelves and racks of stoves in your camping gear man cave - so not finding just one stove should be inconsequential. :p

[sorry, and yes this post is tongue-in-cheek :)]

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hobo stove it :D

I think too many shops get stuck in the 'must do it now' mindset. So Christmas is past and Valentine's Day's next but Easter stuff is already flooding the shelves.
It's just like fashion, and until Easter camping isn't fashionable :sigh:

Man Cave ??? ….Mrs Four-sheds :eek:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
For a given value of fashion, I suppose we are. To most folk here it's kind of everyday stuff, but that's not true for most of the population.
I admit that shop assistants like that totally discourage me from returning though, and I like Millets too. Not for everything, but they are there 52 weeks of the year, and they do carry a wide range of useful stuff. Staff are generally very helpful as well :)

Is there no one nearby who'd lend you a stove for the weekend ?

M

Somellier

Jan 17, 2017
Peak District
Reminds me of the guy who bought a new motorhome and wrote about it in the CCC magazine: "and I've arranged winter storage for it". He should have been a caravaner :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE