No good deed goes unpunished. "Don't look if you don't like blood!"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
Firstly I do have re8eld0gs permission to put this up. AGAIN DON'T LOOK AT THIS IF YOUR A LITTLE SQEEMISH OF BLOOD!

The trip started with a loverly 2 mile walk with the intention to try re8reld0g's new Warbonnet out. We spent the night under a disused farmers shed.
It was generally a cracking night.

On our walk home we had to cross a bridge which we found had a tree fallen over it. So in my Devine wisdom I said to Martin let's get the Laplanders out and trim it down.
3uhana3a.jpg

So Martin starts cutting the large trunk that was stopping everyone getting past easily.

emy8a3u6.jpg

He literally states "watch out mate it might spring back on you"
So I turn around to stick my bag down and give him a hand. Then I hear a crack, BANG. OUCH!!

The silly e-git only moved to where I was standing and got one hell of a whack. The only time where we could use a f.a.k and neither of us brought one mainly because neither of us thought being so close to the house that we would need one (massive mistake). A mile from the house and no main roads any where near us so a ambulance could find it rather difficult to find us if situation worsened and he went unconscious. But Martin being an ex combat medic managed to keep calm and he dealt with it all like a champion. He checked him self over and and walked the mile back perfectly fine minus the the obvious swearing, moaning and grumbling lol.
3ezu5u5a.jpg

Most of the injury consisted of a fair bit of bruising, a 3mm hole in his head and some pretty bad concussion for 20 minutes.

In all fairness looking back at it all now that bang to head could of easily turned into a much bigger problem but thankfully for us it didn't'.

You learn a lesson every time is all I have to say on this matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
I hope it scars.......otherwise it was all for nothing lmao
But seriously I hope someone can learn from this. Especially me.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

DR2501

Forager
Feb 6, 2014
Bristol
Ouch, but at least no serious harm was done

I had to laugh because that's an absolutely massive rucksack for an overnighter, plus you say he's an ex-combat medic, and he has no FAK in there!

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Its only a 75L bergen, and my 2 crap sleeping bag fill most of it, defo need to get a down TQ and i would have loads of space.
On the FAK front........im going to put it back on the pack today so i dont forget it again.

DR2501

Forager
Feb 6, 2014
Bristol
Fair enough, I think its just different mindsets to be honest - before becoming interested in bushcraft I've mainly done lightweight backpacking, taking a 33l rucksack for multi-night trips so I'm not used to seeing larger bags being used 'in anger' mate that's all. I have to try and get out of that habit because a larger pack means I can take more 'comfort' items which does appeal!

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Lol Im used to carrying a 30kg bergen plus webbing+rifle and a big med kit bag
you should have seen my last pack.........a 130L Lowe Alpine Saracen, i used to fill it!!!

My Lowe alpine was weighing in at about 27kgs, 4.5kgs of that is just the bergen itself
I have now got this pack weight down to 17kgs without water which is plus 6kgs

So im getting there slowly, like i said once i get shot of these 2 carp sleeping bags im gonna lose another 2-3kgs and save about half the bergen space.

And its always good to have space for some comfort items.

DR2501

Forager
Feb 6, 2014
Bristol
Lol wow! just the bergen weighing 4.5kg - that's about half my entire pack weight for my last weekend outing lol. I can't imagine what a 130l pack even looks like haha, how did you fill it?? I guess the army teaches you to have backups for everything etc so I can see why.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
It was full of thing i never used, now im getting the hang of my kit and thing are slowly getting smaller and lighter
and im leaving all the carp at home........including the FAK i never used........whoops!!!!
Lesson learned.

DR2501

Forager
Feb 6, 2014
Bristol
Funny how its so tempting to take things 'just in case' isn't it? At least it wasn't too severe a lesson though mate, more of a wake up :)

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Shhhh keep this quiet in case the powers that be see it we might end up having to wear a HARD HAT!!!!!! When in the woods...😉 hope your ok mate

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Looking at the thread with a humourous slant, its funny how there's an intimated criticism of having too much kit and also not carrying a FaK simultaneously ;)

Not a pick at anyone, purely my warped sense of humour. I say thank you to the OP because I think such posts help cement a very useful lesson and it's never easy to open up to a gaff etc.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Lucky escape there, could of been worse....

Silly mistake no first aid kit, I carry a small one on my belt kit, just a couple of plasters and a meduim dressing,

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
The worst bit is i told Jon to move from that area as i knew it was under tension and going to spring that way when cut.......
i then proceeded to move there and lean in closer to see how my cut was going...........!!!!
Just didnt think it was cut that far through and it snapped.
I was really luck to get away with a headache and small cut, it could have easily been my face/eyes it hit.

All in good humor now, i just cant believe i did it.........stoopid

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
The worst bit is i told Jon to move from that area as i knew it was under tension and going to spring that way when cut.......
i then proceeded to move there and lean in closer to see how my cut was going...........!!!!
Just didnt think it was cut that far through and it snapped.
I was really luck to get away with a headache and small cut, it could have easily been my face/eyes it hit.

All in good humor now, i just cant believe i did it.........stoopid

Yeah I know what you mean its always good to laugh :)

DR2501

Forager
Feb 6, 2014
Bristol
We all do things like that and its good to laugh them off as you say. I'm willing to bet you always carry a FAK from now on! Lol

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
We all do things like that and its good to laugh them off as you say. I'm willing to bet you always carry a FAK from now on! Lol

I'm definitely carrying a f.a.k from now on. But tbh there wasn't much a f.a.k would of done in this situation. Other than clean the wound which I always carry baby wipes. Also we Weren't exactly miles away from home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Just gave it a good clean out whilst in the bath, there is a 5mm hole/ lump of missing scalp and a cut leading to a 3mm hole.
Its still leaking plasma, but no blood.
Really gave it a good whack.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE