next years fire wood stash

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Hopefully this little lot will supply our fuel needs for the woodburner next winter

logs3.jpg

logs5.jpg

logs1.jpg

3 full cords, 2 of them split with wedge's first then cross cut, the 3rd one crosscut into rounds with a chainsaw first then split with a maul. Guess which was quicker method :lmao: Those heaps are about 7 foot long and nearly 5 foot high, 5 foot deep. One heap is sheeted the other is still to do. Air can get in all round, the logs are radially cracking just nicely, if we get a dry summer they will be easily down to 15% MC
It was felled up to a year ago so has lost a lot of water already, 1/2 of it is ash, also some oak, birch, mostly. £120 for the 3 cord's, if I'd bought it as cube loads off the dealer I'd have paid £500+ and even then it wouldnt of been all that dry. Has anyone else been splitting there wood? Any pic's?
cheers Jonathan

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Those look cool stacks. Me and my neighbor used to have great fun trying to outdo each other with the best firewood stacks but now we moved out of our old cottage to a house with good insulation I only use half as much. Good to see them stacked so as the air can get round, that is what dries wood, make one big stack and the stuff in the middle stays green.

Hows this for a stack.

01d7a45f0ba1fe1fe8e100a56ed0479d

I cheated and pinched an image off google. :lmao:

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Thanks for your comments people, no one else done a load just lately then?

There's a lot of spoons in there Jonathan.

Eric

I think I know what you mean eric, Every piece of wood I see I think that could be a ladle or a chair spindle or a seat or a stool back..... :lmao: But I need a quantity of wood to burn as well, and theres only so many things you can carve in the time available. Besides these logs have been felled a while and are prety dry already. In the 1st pic theres a few decent bits of ash that I have saved to make legs and short spindles etc.
As you say Robin, decent insulation is the key to a warm house, (with any fuel not just wood). With our set up (Franco belge stove and stainless backfilled flue, plus good wall floor and roof insulations, we use 1 to 2 cu ft of firewood a day (not per hour like in the good old day's :lmao: ) and by and large it heats the whole house.
It was hard work doing the logs, next time I'd make a cleaving brake type holder to grab the logs at one end for crosscutting instead of keep putting the saw down while moving the log along for the next cut on a bucking frame. I had some assistance from my 3 year old he has natural ability at stacking, I have done dry stone walling before and that helped as well.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Cut/stacked 2/3 of a cord of walnut Thursday. Cleaning up after some loggers. Still need to split some of the larger branches, but the small sections are already dry enough. And I cut up another cord of dead elm three weeks ago. And then there are the stacks out in the woods from last year that need to be moved down to the house. I burn somewhere between 5 and 7 cords each winter. But I also live in an old farm house where the wind rattles the windows on the other side going out! And the only insulation is in the walls of one room which is made of logs under all the plaster/siding.

So the firewood pile is always on my mind.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the hinterlands

p.s. And now I will have to cut/split some extra to make a cordwood shed!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE