Newbies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Interesting Thread, I am not sure where I stand on it. I believe if we would have more old timers going strongly we wouldnt need the newbie section.

I dont know what happend but suddenly all the, at least for me interesting Threads, stopped suddenly. At the same time I noticed that more and more old members stopped writing, stopped coming or where banned from the forum. There has been a strong turn towards the material and away from the life style.

Anyhow thats only how I feel about it.

Cheers
Abbe

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I agree with Abbe that the number of experienced members has declined. By experienced I mean people that have been members of bushcraft UK for a long time. Its natural that people move on but I feel there needs to be more emphasis placed on retaining existing members.

I have noticed a change in BCUK, far fewer old faces are posting these days. i wonder how many of the 4000ish members actually post.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
It’s really quite uplifting to read though this thread, if you ignored the usernames for the moment is sounds exactly like a discussion in the moderator’s area.

it still makes me smile every time I receive an e-mail telling me someone has hit the little exclamation sign and reported a post because it means that a BCUK member somewhere is helping to maintain the site.

It’s nice to see the members of the BCUK taking an active role in discussing ideas for the development of their site. :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Anyone who has read my responses will know that I get irritated (probably unreasonably so ) by questions which have already been discussed at length. For me, such new threads make the forum much more unwieldy. I like to search for the answers myself, and a proliferation of new threads, especially those with the typically non-descriptive subject headings of “Please Help”, “what is this?” and “Advice please”, makes doing so much harder. :soapbox:

On other forums that I have been on, there are areas set aside for new members, but there are no restrictions imposed upon you when you sign up that limit where you can post. I know one person who asked a rather simple question in a US knife forum and a moderator moved it into the Newbie area. Rather a put down, but from the mods point of view, it was the right thing to do. That was at the mods discretion, an arbitrary restriction though would be much harder to deal with, I can see the moderation of such a restriction being a real headache, unless it was automated, which brings in problems of another nature.

Some people join forums with a wealth of knowledge, but may not post often. Any arbitrary restriction based on length of time as a member, age, or number of posts is bound to be unworkable for many, and some people, who probably don’t post much because they are out doing stuff, could be lost out of sheer frustration. On this site we have people like Max, Woody and PatrickM, when they joined, would anyone have dreamed of sticking them in a newbie area?

Having an area dedicated to simple, possibly daft, questions doesn’t seem like a bad idea though. If you are new, you can check that area and look at threads which are probably better tailored to your skill and knowledge level than they might be in the rest of the forum. The problem with the proliferation of repeat threads is kept down on the rest for the site.

The question is, would you “older” members be prepared to spend time in the Newbie area answering questions? It would only work if answers to the daft questions were forthcoming.

As for the idea of a FAQ page being sent to everyone, not a bad idea. People being people, there will be quite a few who will ignore the FAQ thinking it doesn’t apply, or wouldn’t be useful to them. :rolleyes: :bluThinki

Just a thought here....does anyone think that the variation in posting could be seasonal? Some people having more time in the summer, while others are tied up with family, or just getting out more themselves?

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I'll echo the sentiment that it's good to have a civilised chat about it. Cheers for the suggestion LS.

It's not something I'd agree with though. I'm not even sure it's really a problem that needs addressing. Many newbies do use the search function, and will often precede their question with "I've tried searching" or "I hope this is the right forum" etc. And even if they do just jump in without looking, it's easy enough to ignore or to point them in the right direction.

Let's face it, this has mainly come up now because of (I'm trying to be polite here) certain overenthusiastic blunderbuss postings. That's not really got much to do with being a newbie per se, but more to do with etiquette, politeness and youthfulness.

I'm all for a well-advertised FAQ section, though. It'll be an area where newbies can go before really getting into the forums, and it'll be a nice handy link for longer-term members to point to when a repeat question is asked.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Mark I find the search function next to useless. I have had very little success with it. perhaps thats a problem I have as i rarely get good info out of google either.

This issue has been concerning some of the membership I am in regular contact with for a while. Perhaps some puppies have brought it to the masses attention but the nature and drection of the community is a valid topic for debate.

Falling Rains rant the other day is an example of some of the more experinced members frustration. Nick is a quiet thoughtful man that often has some pertient replies yet felt strongly enough to post about the over emphasis on kit.

OK Plant knowledge is specific. You either know about the subject or you do not. Whereas we all can have a view on an item of kit. Funds are limited and we all want a bargain.

sorry for the rambling nature of this post.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
C_Claycomb said:
The question is, would you “older” members be prepared to spend time in the Newbie area answering questions? It would only work if answers to the daft questions were forthcoming.

I think I qualify as old but possibly not as an "older member" ;) . The answer would be absolutely I would be a frequent inhabitor of a "simple questions" area. Some of the best fun I have had is offering and receiving, simple, plain instructions that, if I'm lucky, put back a little of what I have learned from others.

The "pimp my firesteel thread" that I started ran and ran based on simple instructions Leon-1 provided me with - I followed his instructions, took pictures, others joined in - fun for all and I for one learned a new skill. Ditto the £5 sharpening thread thats now a sticky - no original thought on my part - got the idea from Mors Kochanski, published some instructions, Hoodoo, Andy and others improved them...the kit got better...good time had by all and again I learned lots and I started the flipping thing! Actually - thats the interesting point - after writing that thread, I found out that others had done similar stuff in the past. But the act of "kicking it around" brought it to the attention of others (me included) and we all learned a little. Isn't that the joy of this hobby - shared experiences? We may be in small groups as we do it, but discussion with like minded people and participation is more fun than reading old threads. It was for me when I joined and still is - its interactive discussion and civilised debate thats the joy - not reading others thoughts - I have books to do that (and jolly good they are too).

We dwell on the friction this occasionally generates - perhaps we should acknowledge the positives too?

So (in no order)

Thanks you Toddy for sending me the fungus
Thanks you Nemesis for the coffee pot that improves my mood when bushcrafting
Thanks you Ludlowsurvivor for letting me and many others practice skills and camp on your site
Thanks you guys for sending me cramp balls when I couldn't find any
Thanks you Tiffers for my fantastic sheath that you brought to my house and Shinken for the knife I gave to a friend
Thanks Scruff and Magikelly for the group buys
Thanks all for the wood you all sent me for firesteel handles (Stuart Marsh spent a fortune on postage and wouldn't take it back, Bushwacker Bob delivered in person!)

In return I hope the guys I have sent knives, ration packs, firesteels, books etc. to have found them useful. I know one thing - I have a lot of "thank you"s that I still need to pass on - many of the people who helped me don't need my help in return - I hope I can find someone who does and can extend them the patience and friendship that so many kind souls have extended to me. I intend to try.

Red

<by the way, the vet just called and he's had to put my high horse down - :D >

Reactions: Seagull and Wayne

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I think there is a definite seasonal trend with postings, people are trying out new things at different times of the year. I think there is also a seasonal change in forum users, during the summer people get out more and post less and more new people find the site looking for answers.
I think there is also a trend for certain skills or items of kit to be "in vogue" for a certain time, I mentioned charcloth, swannies, swedish cooksets and at the moment underpants :rolleyes: seem to have a burst of popularity and die off as topics, maybe because they have been superceded by newer kit or most questions have been asked and answered.
I think "The Virtual Campfire" nature of the site promotes discussion, and as around a campfire different groups talk about different subjects at all levels. When the site was smaller I read every post made in every subject, now it has grown it would be almost impossible to keep up, so I am more selective, I keep up with some posts because of interest and look in on others to see if it is a question I could help answer, or have a useful input at least.
I think if there was a "safe zone"for the new users I would probably read and help,where I could, and probably post in there occasionally too. We are all new to some of the subjects that come up!

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
mark a. said:
I'm all for a well-advertised FAQ section, though. It'll be an area where newbies can go before really getting into the forums, and it'll be a nice handy link for longer-term members to point to when a repeat question is asked.

I am with Mark A on this one, but I lack the full measure skills to comment on how such a development may be made and what its content should be.
Except, it would need to be an awfully long list, in headed sections.
With perhaps a more highlighted grabnote, on the banner page.

Lord knows, I too have done a good share of teeth gnashing with the search facility and , have taken to trawling through the whole archive, bit by bit.
But, its educational and diverting, just to get caught up with the old threads.

On the education thing, I too would be prepared to chip-in and answer some of the repeats.....

( Oh no! stop him somebody, not that ploddy Star knot again)

All I need, is a lead on how to post a forum link :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
I know that this has ,indeed, been posted several times before, but am damned if I can find it.
Some kind fellah even sent me a pm about it, but I,ve lately binned them.

Anyone?? anyone?

Ceeg

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
you need a 6a
6a
highlight a the text you want to act as the link by holding down left click and dragging the blue ribbon across the text and you get a link like this like: this

just inserting a hyper link you'll get this: http://www.bushcraftuk.com

both go to the same place but one makes for easier reading

James

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
so here goes i type in my text
i copy the link url from another page ctrl-c
i press the world button with the chain (hyperlink) and type bcuk as thts what i want to see so i get this with no link to anywhere
bcuk
then i press ctrl-V
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/

your ok until you get to step 8 this should be paste in the addreess of the website/thread you want to link to you then dont need to do steps 10 and 11

so step by step for a simple hyperlink is:

(1) Go to the thread in question
(2) Highlight the whole URL (the thing in the white bar containing http://www.bushcraftuk.com)
(3) Press and hold down the CTRL key and (whilst holding it down) press the C key (this is the shortcut for copy)
(4) Go back to the thread you want to reply to
(5) Click on the big Reply icon that has the BCUK logo against it
(6) Type in the text of your message
(7) Click on the picture of the world with a bit of chain (hyperlink)
(8) Type or paste (CTRL and V) the webpage /thread address you want to link to
(9) Click OK

link will look like this

http://www.bushcraftuk.com

or use (6a)

(6a) highlight a the text you want to act as the link by holding down left click and dragging the blue ribbon across the text

and you get a link like this

just a thought if do steps 1 to 6 and the paste the url in to the reply you'll get a link like this

http://www.bushcraftuk.com

sorry ceeg if i've confused matters
and sorry red i hate dissagreeing

James

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Jdlenton - I've removed my erroneous instructions - PM sent - Ceeg - I suggest you follow jdlentons instructions :)

Rod

On a new journey
I'm jumping in to this a bit late perhaps, but for what its worth. I don't feel a 'newbie area' would be a sensible way forward, as it would - as others have already suggested - be something that segregates members. We are on the whole a welcoming and inclusive bunch and should keep that spirit.

For what its worth, I've been on the site for just over 18 months, but have been into the outdoors for most of my life. Whilst I don't consider myself be particularly expert in any of the bushcraft arts (others have disagreed); but I have been developing my skills as a tracker in particular. I find that sitting and observing is often the best way of learning, rather than rushing to try and acquire knowledge quickly.

What could be of more use to help lessen the amount of 'repeat questions', on similar topics, would be for there to be - for instance - "masterclass tutorials" written by some of the "experienced ones" ;) E.g. woods suitable to make bowdrill sets, These could be in Articles Section with better highlighted links to these from the forum.

leon-1

Hi guys, the discussion of a frequently asked questions section has been had before, in principle it is a great thing, setting it up is a little more difficult. We had been looking into a wikipedia for bushcraft, but we have had a few problems since.

Things like woods for fire by friction I made a list of a while ago (these were ones that had been tried and tested by members of BCUK and were known to work well), if I can get my server back from a friend :rolleyes:I will see if I still have a copy of it.

Instead of FAQ's what about setting up sticky's for the minute, woods for handdrill (combinations), woods for bow drill (combinations), tinders (natural and man made). Suggested reading for tracking, first aid and whatever other subjects that you can think of. A basic pro's and con's stainless or carbon.

Does that sound good to people and have they suggestions as to what to run for. Once the relevant stickys have been made the data from them then collated and placed into sections to form the FAQ.

A section for the new guys where they can add to old threads, but not make new ones I personally don't like. My specific reasoning is who suggests what goes into the area and what growth/experience (mental, physical) would new members gain from it.

We all are learning, there are very few people who can say that in a week they don't learn something they didn't know or that they have not been reminded of something they have forgotten. Some so called newbies have more knowledge than some of the so called old timers, they may not have the computer skills, but they make up for that in the wealth of knowledge that they hold on a subject that they love.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I was thinking that an FAQ could just be one post somewhere that links to the stickies in the various forums. As the number of stickies grows, then the FAQ is automatically sorted for you as you're just really linking to the main page for each of the forums.

Does that make sense? Obviously we could get into issues of too many stickies. But then as people have rightly pointed out the search function isn't exactly infallible.

leon-1

mark a. said:
I was thinking that an FAQ could just be one post somewhere that links to the stickies in the various forums. As the number of stickies grows, then the FAQ is automatically sorted for you as you're just really linking to the main page for each of the forums.

Does that make sense? Obviously we could get into issues of too many stickies. But then as people have rightly pointed out the search function isn't exactly infallible.

It does make sense, but stickies in themselves are threads and sometimes you have to search through a thread looking at each to find some real gems of information. An FAQ in itself would be easier to look through as all the relevant information would be condesned into effectively one single post.

I could start a thread called tips for hand drill and thirty or so people may post a couple of times each, that's sixty posts some repeating what has already been said by others, in FAQ form that becomes a single post that takes up relatively little space and is quicker to navigate.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
The only problem with that is that if you have loads of stickies at the top of a forum, you have to scroll down to see any new stuff. Every solution.... :D

leon-1

scanker said:
The only problem with that is that if you have loads of stickies at the top of a forum, you have to scroll down to see any new stuff. Every solution.... :D

What's to say that what you are looking for may not already be in an FAQ or sticky :D, but point taken.

If you put one under fire by friction, there are two main types that we use (hand and bow), under these there are two main headings (what woods and tips). So under fire by friction there would be four stickies / FAQ's.

Under tracking there could be a couple, helpfull kit and suggested reading as these are the main things that are asked.

Edged tools, good cheap knife, stainless or carbon and sharpening.

My point is that there is no reason to overload any of the forums with thousands of stickies, an addition of 3 or 4 maybe and they in turn would eventually become the FAQ's that people are after.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
That sounds fair enough. As another thought, Is it worth having the information in articles on the main site with the stickies linking to those?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just a thought,

On other forums there is a "useful posts and threads" area. Really handy tips, instructions, explanations etc. can be moved or copied there. A single (locked) thread at the top of each forum contains a hyperlink for each post moved to the "hall of fame" and an explanation of what it contains. So in one thread in "edged tools" there might be a post saying "click here for a good explanation of carbon vs stainless", another post with "click here for sharpening hints and tips" etc. Only one sticky per forum area, with a post of a link and explanation for each bit of useful info.

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE