Newbies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi Folks,

Well at last I seem to have posted something that has grasped peoples immagination...

There have been some really good replies and some unexpected ones...

But it appears no bad tempered ones, which is great to see...

My Original idea seems to have evolved into something that has the potential to become something useful, for that I am pleased...

Thank you all for your input and ideas...

By the way mods...I am glad that some of you joined in on this discussion...I was particularly impressed by this one...(Especially after the PM I received today!!!)

It’s really quite uplifting to read though this thread, if you ignored the usernames for the moment is sounds exactly like a discussion in the moderator’s area.

it still makes me smile every time I receive an e-mail telling me someone has hit the little exclamation sign and reported a post because it means that a BCUK member somewhere is helping to maintain the site.

It’s nice to see the members of the BCUK taking an active role in discussing ideas for the development of their site. :)

LS

David B

May 12, 2006
Tadcaster North Yorks
As A Newbie (though I hate the Term) I dont tnink we should be segregated.
I can understand the frustration that being asked the same question over an over can cause.
So on a well established forum like this I think that all members should try to find the answer in the existing threads, rather than just starting a new thread for a topic that may allready have been covered numerous times.
I have not made many posts simpley because most of the questions i have needed to ask have allready been dealt with. And that being new to bushcraft I dont have sufficient knowledge to agree or disagree with most other members I am content to sift through the existing advice and take that which I feel valid and ignore that which I dont.

In short try to find the answer in the exsisting threads before starting a new thread. If we all did that maybe this thread would never have started.

Long Stride

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2006
Dundee
As a "newbie" to this community I hope you don't mind me joining this discussion.

Before I joined I regularly visited the site, reading posts and using the search facility to find threads I was particularly interested in.

The search function works ok - I think it is the fact that some of the thread names do not match their content that sometimes makes it hard to find some topics.

Anyway, during this time I grasped how the site works, the various acronyms? and how everyone expects each other to interact. It was 4 months later that I decided to actually join.

Why did I join and not just carry on reading the threads?
Why do others join?

I think for me it was the sense of community that this site has.
People with a wide range of age, experience, knowledge and skills that also have the ability and feeling to pass this on to others.
People that know that they are still learning themselves.
I didn't just join to learn more about bushcraft but to make my Skills and knowledge ( though limited ) available to others.

It is the interaction of the group that makes this such a good community. Whether a question on fire lighting, a discussion on underpants or how to run your Landy on cooking oil.

Ludlowsurvivors idea sounds good but may need simplified a bit to make it work.

To me there is never a " simple, possibly daft " question. To the person asking it is a question that they would like an answer to.

My worry is that you can't put anything in place to cope with an over eager 14 year old who wants to know everything at once and whose knowledge of The Law is probably nil.

No offence Leon-b, as I've told you before your desire to learn everything bushcraft wise always put a smile on my face.

I feel we should encourage youngsters as much as possible and believe that that is an aim of this community.

In a few years time I am sure Leon-b will be answering "newbies" questions and passing on skills as so many of you are are doing for him now.

I shall end my ramblings here.

Mark

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
How about starting a thread of FAQs? That is to say just a list of questions that people think might belong in an FAQ leaving the answers to a later date.
For example:

What is the best knife under £20?

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
anthonyyy said:
How about starting a thread of FAQs? That is to say just a list of questions that people think might belong in an FAQ leaving the answers to a later date.
For example:

What is the best knife under £20?

why is it always kit first? i

Where is the best place to spot wild boar in the UK?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE