Newbie's Ramble

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Afternoon all,

So I've had a strong interest in Bushcraft for the past few years, and have been reading and researching about it as part of a game project I was involved in. With that now bypast, I find myself full of information and facts of this exciting thing called bushcraft!

Things in the real world have calmed down for me recently, and I've found myself in need of a hobby... so I figured I'd make a start with woodcrafting. Time consuming, enjoyable, rewarding and practical, too! During my googling on this, I've come across this forum... which looks like a place I feel I could settle into comfortably for the foreseeable future... hence, my introduction post.

I've got myself a summarised beginner's guide to woodcrafting, which covers what tools I need to grab to get started - though I'd appreciate any experience folk can provide to optimise it, or any advice at all, really. I'm also under the belief that I'm going to need a Forestry Commission license to go fell wood picking, or purchase green wood itself from them directly.

Thanks for the pop-in, and cheers!

Tools Shopping List
Mora Wood Carving 106 Knife
Mora Wood Carving 164 Crook spoon Knife
Wood Carving Hand Chisel Tool Set
Handaxe
Double-sided saw rasp

Just been for a toddle in the local nature reserve, and I never noticed how much fell wood is just laying about! Naturally it's all very important to the local biome, but I spotted one beautiful piece of silver birch, about 400mm diam. and a meter long. Might have to make a call for it.

Tree Surgeons are a good call; there's also a local hardwood shop, he's an older community fellow who my family have known since his father set up shop. Might be worth a pop-in for some offcuts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE