Newbie With SLR at Culzean, Scotland (Pic Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I've finally went and bought myself a DSLR camera :D. I don't claim to be any good at this but I think for really my first time on full manual mode I done not too bad, getting to grips with the settings but I've been told by everyone so far it's a case of trial and error hence why there are a couple double shots with different settings.

If anyone has any tips or comments they would be greatly appreciated.

Camera is a Canon 600D with 18-55mm lens by the way :)

IMG_1821_zpsf222303c.jpg

IMG_1822_zps98868cf8.jpg

IMG_1824_zps5737a933.jpg

IMG_1827_zps2af258bc.jpg

IMG_1836_zps7da28c32.jpg

IMG_1837_zpse8f13d04.jpg

IMG_1839_zps0fa199d0.jpg

IMG_1840_zpsce5ef6dc.jpg

IMG_1847_zpsdaed3d90.jpg

scottishpinz

Dec 30, 2010
Scotland
Great pics as combination of artificial light and night time makes correct exposure really hard. I would say why go full manual when you can use AV or TV mode and let the camera's built in exposure help out. You can then always dial in a bit of compensation. When I first got my digital SLR I worked through the instruction manual trying each control, but even now I don't use or remember them all! I have gallery of some pics here www.flickr.com/photos/85306730@N00/

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Not too bad considering the challenge you set yourself.

As has been said Av and TV are what you should try first.
Use AV for situations where you want to control depth of field and teh shutter speed is not important but keep an eye on it
TV where you need set shutter speeds and let camera choose an apperture but again you may need to adjust teh ISO or use auto ISO to get what you want.

Digital camera magazine has a great article on teh subject last month (january issue).

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I've started with a compact - Panasonic TZ30 - and am finding plenty of controls to get the hang of with that.

In terms of improving your photography my top tip would be to join a class or club of some kind - I have done this and get lots of ideas from others. I notice that many people in the class who have a DSLR do not know how to use them so you - as a new owner - are not alone and needn't be worried tht everyone else will be an 'expert'.:)

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Not bad, any tips would be check the histogram and check it again- you would surprised how many people don't. It will let you dial in some negative or positive compensation depending on the exposure. Out of interest what was the ISO and white balance in the bottom photo? BTW well done on the 4th pic down, you haven't made the artificial light too overpowering!

Finally another quick tip, the person using the Lumix- cradle the bottom of the lens with one hand and grip the camera body with the other- just noticed it, really helps stabilise the camera :)

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Not bad, any tips would be check the histogram and check it again- you would surprised how many people don't. It will let you dial in some negative or positive compensation depending on the exposure. Out of interest what was the ISO and white balance in the bottom photo? BTW well done on the 4th pic down, you haven't made the artificial light too overpowering!Finally another quick tip, the person using the Lumix- cradle the bottom of the lens with one hand and grip the camera body with the other- just noticed it, really helps stabilise the camera :)
Thanks for the tips ill definitely give that a try with the histogram. I honestly can't remember the settings on the camera for the 4th pic down, I think it was possibly ISO 400 with about a 15 second shutter time.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Grab a freeware exif viewer to see what your settings were if it was a jpg. Lightroom, photoshop or gimp will tell you from raw images easily enough.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Grab a freeware exif viewer to see what your settings were if it was a jpg. Lightroom, photoshop or gimp will tell you from raw images easily enough.

Squidders is right about image processing. Shooting in RAW will preserve lost highlights and shadows so that you can recover them!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE