Newbie wanting to learn.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jth910

Dec 27, 2009
UK
Hey all,
I'm 14 and Im a newbie to bushcraft.
Thanks to some helpful BCUK members, I have several places that I can practise my bushcraft.

If you were going to teach me the basics of bushcraft, what would you teach me and when? That way I can study those things and put them into practise.

Thanks guys
Toby

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think I would ask what you wanted to learn. In what subjects are you interested? You pick up things much faster if you already have some interest in it.

I like shelter building, but I can't be bothered doing fire by friction. I'll use matches or a ferro rod. I'm not interested in making wine, leatherwork or carving. But I do like learning edible plants, campcraft and different fire lays.

Best of luck with your Quest goodjob

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
As Ajhno says, pick a subject and study that.

But if you want some suggestions then fire starting is a good place to start, also will you be using a tarp to sleep out under. If you are then start practicing knots and how to pitch one.

Knife skills you might want to wait until you've got someone to actually demo it to you.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
get a good book, the best iv found is BUSHCRAFT by mors kochanski. it has seperate chaptors on firelighting, useing an axe, knife, saw, building shelters etc. the book is heavily based on the northern forests but they are not disimilar to some of ours.

to start off i would lern to use a knife and firesteel. don't bother with an expensive knife, an £8 mora knife is just as good and you won't be scared to muck it up sharpening.

lighting fires with a firesteel is a good skill, not too hard but more chalenging than useing matches. start off with cotton wool but try and move on to tinders that you can find out and about such as birch bark and clematis

have fun:)
pete

Jth910

Dec 27, 2009
UK
Thanks guys:D
I'm already pretty good in starting a fire with a firesteel, and Im pretty good at managig the fire. Ive had a "gerber freeman folder" for a while, not ideal but my hands have toughened up to the metal handle.
I'm interested in firelighting, food gathering, both hunting and gathering (I have skinned, cooled and ate one rabbit before), and nature generally, although Id like to learn about the different trees and their uses in particular

If you know of any websites that'll help me, please post 'em!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Why not find a good Scout group in your area? Look for one that suits you...they are not all the same, as they tend to take the interests of the Leaders and develop them.

Simon

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Hi. and welcome. My tip is keep visiting this site and you'll pick up masses of information. If you want practical knowledge then book on a course. There are some around that don't cost the earth. Hope that helps.:welcome1:

Jth910

Dec 27, 2009
UK
You're going to get loads of replies :)

Really interesting and informative plant site, Plants for a Future, has details of over 7,000 edible plants.

http://www.pfaf.org/index.php

Welcome to the forum :D

cheers,
Toddy

Thanks Toddy.

Simon, Im apart of the army cadets, so that gives me a goo bit of info.

To fred, I'd really love to go on a course, unfortunately I don't really have the money ATM, but Im trying to get a job as a beater on a nearby pheasant shoot so fingers crossed

ickyan

Forager
Jun 26, 2009
shropshire
Hi im 14 aswell but im not a newbie.

I recommend that you should get the Mors Kochanski book.
Also learn you trees, its pretty easy.
Invest in some good tools (mora, saw, tarp, axe ect)
And get down the woods and start practising.

Also try you tube there's a lot of good stuff on there
And I recommend these channels (there's lots more I have missed though)
http://www.youtube.com/user/hobbexp
http://www.youtube.com/user/seanmulhall
http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfbushcraft

also if you have problems consult the forum

Goodluck!

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
hi there mate.

the best thing you can do is just practise practise practise. - it is the only way to get better at something.

so find a part of the bushcraft "thing" you like then practise doing it.

as has been said - visit this site - there is a gigantic wealth of information on forums such as this - but it is by far a be all and end all resource.
i learnt a lot from watching ray mears as a kid - and youtube has all sorts of "how to" videos these days.

best of luck mate
andy

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
Im trying to get a job as a beater on a nearby pheasant shoot so fingers crossed

Toby, this could be really usefull. A lot of keepers wouldnt mind you walking on the land once you have their trust, and its out of season. Of course they might not, but were normally a friendly bunch! Try http://www.nobs.org.uk/ for shoots in your area. I know its not that bushcrafty, but its land that might come availible once they trust you, once you have an idea about the shoot and things, ask if they need any help at weekends or whenever, again more trust :D, but you will learn a lot of bush stuff from any countryman. Even if its just a tenner a week it will help towards a course/kit

Hope this helps

Sam

Jth910

Dec 27, 2009
UK
Thanks Sam,
I've been to a couple of the local shoots and just working up the courage to ask at the big one.
Hopefully, one of 'em's gonna phone me up!

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
As Ahjno as already stated, first its up to you.

Then I would start on self reliance, thinking out of the box and awareness of your surroundings. As bushcraft is all about your own, or groups survival, or at least a part of it.

Best not forget about all the fun aspects as well, and not forgetting the more serious safety side of things and seeing how you are with sharps etc.

Lots of books to choose from, and welcome to the world of bushcraft.

Jth910

Dec 27, 2009
UK
Thanks guys. Any advice on where to get a dirt cheap angle grinder? I'm gonna try to make a knife...
Also, where is the best place to get one of these "tarps"? And a hammock, I'm guessing?

Last edited:

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
B&Q does an angle grinder for about a tenner that is just fine, failing that screwfix is usually cheap. As for tarps and the like you may get a good deal from surplus stores or jus look on ebay.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
angle grider and cheep blades cant do better than screw fix and they deliver to your door. also think about an old circular saw blade for you knife blade for a cheeper option. good luck with the bushcraft stuff and keep in well with the shooting team it will pay off big time trust me.....chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE