newbie to real camping help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
i used to camp as a kid, cant find places like i used to as a scout would anyone have any suggestions for quite places?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 22, 2012
Haydock
Scout camps are a good place to start. I'm reasonably new to wildcamping/bushcraft myself and ive been honing my skills on various scout sites. Also this weekend im off up to scotland after reading up on their wildcamping laws and rules, so if your up for a bit of a trek theres ALOT of wilderness up there, but be carsefull, be prepared and make sure that some one knows when you are going, where you are heading for and when you plan to be back.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Can you light a fire on the top of Everest ?
Theoretically I mean, I know it's a special place.
I meant about the thin oxygen levels ?

cheers,
Toddy

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Can you light a fire on the top of Everest ?
Theoretically I mean, I know it's a special place.
I meant about the thin oxygen levels ?

cheers,
Toddy

Dont think it would be possible, due to the low oxygen levels as you said. I wouldnt fancy carrying a bag of logs up there either. :)

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
This is a very interesting question. The proportion of oxygen in the air on top of everest is the same as at sea level, about 21%. However, the pressure is about one third of that at sea level, so there is much less oxygen present. If you had something that burned readily, say acetylene, I'm certain that it would burn up there, but the rate of burning would be slower. Since in our terms, a fire means setting light to wood or meths rather than acetylene, the answer might be a bit more subtle. This is, at least in part, because some of the heat energy produced by a flame from a burning log or puddle of meths is absorbed by the fuel and used to "volatilize" or "gasify" the fuel to allow the burning process to continue. on this basis, i reckon it would be possible, but your normal fuels would be reluctant and might need a hell of a lot of getting going. Moral of the lesson: don't take the leaves from your garden up there.

i just re-read this, sorry if it is a bit nerdy.:p

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Modern high altitude expeditions use liquid fuel stoves such as Optimus, Primus and MSR with special burner heads to take account of the much lower pressure. The earlier Himalaya expedidtions, such as Mallory and co in 1920 tried Primus stoves but were not very successful because basically, the climbers were "gentlemen" who never used any kind of stove, having servants to do it for them. At the base camp at 20,000 feet they used wood fired stoves because they had enough porters (referred to as "coolies") to bring large quantities of wood up to the camp, and servants to do the cooking. The less gentlemanly climbers of the 1953 expedition used Primus no 3 stoves which Hilary in particular had become expert in maintaining and modifying (different jets and burner heads), at up to 27000 feet.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Apparently,you can't get a good cup of tea at the top of Everest! Water boils at 69c at that altitude and that's not hot enough to extrapolate the flavour from the tea-leafs. I hate coffee, so i won't be going!!:yuck::yuck:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE