Newbie question - Leather, where to start?

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
I've seen some great leatherwork on here and it has really inspired me to have a go at some simple projects.

I've had a look at the Le Prevo website and realised just how much stuff there is available out there!

Can someone suggest a good book for a total beginner and / or what you would suggest as basic essential tools.

I realise this might be difficult to suggest without me having a specific project in mind, but I'd like to have a go at dyeing as well as stitching something. I'll probably start with a keyring or something and then work my way up to a knife sheath.

Thanks! :)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
The simple and unhelpful answer is 'it depends'

For example, I've done some braiding and for that you need very little apart from the leather itself
If you're thinking of projects like sheaths, moccasins and yes key rings then some tools are a real help - although few, if any, are essential.
leather needles are normally blunt. You could take a normal needle and blunt the end a little. I've done it and it works fine.
A stitching wheel and stitch groover are very handy but you can use a ruler to measure the size of the stitches and indent the leather to create a groove rather than cut some out.
I think Rapid boy's sheath making tutorial shows most of the tools that most people normally use so have a look there.
Also what kind of leather are you thinking of?
Again, most use veg tanned because it holds it's shape (used for sheaths and possibles bags etc) but something like crome tanned can be good for items that need to be supple (moccasins for example)

Assuming that you want to use veg tanned leather and do the normal sorts of things (sheaths etc) then the tools I'd suggest are:
sharp knife
edge beveler
stitch/edge groover
stitching wheel
pliers (I tend to use my leatherman)
contact adhesive
some clamps to hold the piece while the glue sets

Have I missed anything guys???

And most importantly enjoy it!

Mark

leon-1

The most basic of tools are a craftknife, needle's, thread, wax and an awl. If you wish to add to this an overstitch wheel / pricking iron (5 or 6 to an inch), stitch groover and edge beveller (No'2 beveller). That would take you well on your way.

Linen thread is probably the most accessible, look for 18/3 or better, you'll probably have to wax it hence the wax being mentioned above, use beeswax or clear boot polish.

For doing things like key rings and sheaths go for harness makers needles, I have a couple of sizes, but use size 0 most of the time.

After this you look at bone folder's, crew punches, strap cutters, strap end chisels, hole punches, stitching palms, races, hot creases, anvils setting tools and a host of thousands not to mention the tools for embossing / imprinting / carving.

Al Stohlman guides are pretty good, he does ones for stitching amongst others. Publications by the Tandy Leather Factory are pretty good they do ones on leather carving for beginners and they also do one called the Lucky 8 Belt Book which includes designs for things by Al Stohlman amongst others.

LePrevo has a few tutorials which are worth reading as well.

Using dye's is very much each to thier own, but once again LePrevo have a tutorial for it, as far as dye's are concerned it maybe worth looking at acryllic based dye's as they give you more options as far as colours are concerned.

Contact adhesives, PVA are generally used for holding things before stitching. Then you can use Gum Tragacanth for sealing edges and the likes of resolene fo prtoecting the finish and waterproofing before polishing.

Buckshot mentions types of leather, traditionally brain tanned and the modern chrome tanned tend to be the highly flexible type of materials used for clothing and footwear (I spoke to a tanner the other day and he uses different types of tan for specifics he also blends veg tanned and chrome tanned for specific things), handbags, possibles pouches, belts and the like tend to be Oak Bark Tanned traditionally or more modernly Veg tanned as Buckshot said giving them a more robust stiffer feel.

V

vambo

if you ring le prevo and ask for jan any questions you have she will be only to pleased to answer

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE