Newbie needs help to start carving

May 26, 2008
New to bushcraft arena, and was wanting to start carving a spoon or bowl, I assume for this I will need a crooked knife but what other tools will I need, also which woods are easier to carve. If anyone has any suggestions for reference material that would be appriciated, I have already looked through the forums but most threads suggest that you have some clue what you are doing.
Any input appriciated.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I'd suggest you start with a bit of green birch as its easy to carve.
I have carved dozens of spoons and never touched a crook knife. I use the curved part of the knive blade near the pointy end to form a bowl. Everyone knows what a spoon looks like,so try to find a piece of wood that has an bit of a bend in it to form an angled transition from the bowl to the handle.If you cant find a naturally bent piece of wood, don't worry,just carve a straight spoon.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Like Bob said, start with a bit of green (recently felled) wood as it is much easier to cut; birch is good as well as willow, poplar or alder. A spatula makes a good starter project without any hollowing - just split yourself out a little plank from a log and shape it up into a handle like the one on the far right:
johnm1e.jpg

(I just blagged that picture from John who came on one of our courses - hope you don't mind John!)
It is much easier to make a spoon with a curved knife - if you get one of those Frosts ones (NOT the double edged variety) they only cost about £10-15. Again with a little plank split out of a log you can make a 'spoontula' like the second from the left above. If you want the full spoon experience the best way is with half a log like this:
21blank.jpg

Axe away of the very centre of the log as that's the bit which is most likely to split.
Nicola

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
which woods are easier to carve.

green wood, as in fresh from the tree carves much more easily than dry, keep it in a plastic bag to stop it drying out.

good for starting on...willow, alder, poplar, lime, slightly harder but still cuts well green, birch. Harder but good when you get the hang of it again carve green, sycamore, maple, fruitwoods, hawthorn, rowan.

The beauty of working wood with a knife is you can use small bits and its a great way to learn the properties of different woods so have a go with anything you can get your hands on.

tarmix101

Nov 25, 2005
Washington State U.S.A.
Besides all the great advice you received above, my suggestion would be to just jump in and start carving. Paying close attention to safety of course. ;) Learning through trial and error is a sound one IMO, and can be satisfying when the error part is in the minority.:D

Also, nothing is more frustrating than carving with dull tools. Whatever knives/tools you choose, spend a lot of time putting an edge on them with strop, or stone.

Good luck and happy carving.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
And look for Waylands' post about safety with sharp tools. Make sure you have a first aid kit, no distractions and have plenty of fun.

Very good point. I never carve without a good supply of plasters to hand and also steristrips, they are the little strips doctors and nurses often use instead of stitches to hold cuts together, you buy them at any chemists, boots etc. I rarely need them, but keep them close by.

Last point of course it's everyones own choice but I would highly recommend never carving after any alcohol whatsoever. It can be tempting but I find even 1 small beer or glass of wine greatly increases the likelyhood of cuts.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Very sound advice, alchohol and sharps don't mix very well. Also, plasters can be used before a blister develops to cover a potential hot spot, for instance when using a spoon knife.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Very good point. I never carve without a good supply of plasters to hand and also steristrips, they are the little strips doctors and nurses often use instead of stitches to hold cuts together, you buy them at any chemists, boots etc. I rarely need them, but keep them close by.

Last point of course it's everyones own choice but I would highly recommend never carving after any alcohol whatsoever. It can be tempting but I find even 1 small beer or glass of wine greatly increases the likelyhood of cuts.

I just started carving this week, so Ill add the little tip to stop when your hands get tired (mine did within an hour) My movements were becoming gangly and my coordination was as bad as after a night on the town!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Also...I got a set of cheap tiny chisels from HobbyCraft for £3.99. some have a curved tip and they came with a small sharpening stone. I dont see a need to fork out £20 on a frosts mora spoon crook when the chisels work as well. Obviously later on you might want to spend more on hardier equipment, for me this has been fine so far.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
Thanks for your kind words Spamel
I told a porky! :D twas my 4th!
Here is my first spoon :eek:
1st attempt at a kuksa :eek:
1st attempt at carving :eek:

and I'll save you the pictures of the cuts I have :lmao:
all very very basic stuff compared to the artists & skills in this forum but it is fun trying :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE