Newbie Needs cheap start up kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 3, 2008
Reigate, Surrey
Just wondering what kit I need to survive in the bush. I love the outdoors would love to rough it.

Also is there a good place to get second hand gear? I have some decent wet gear thats about it though. I'm not looking to spend loads.

Cheers

Surrey.:beerchug:

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
If you're 'roughing it' then you're doing it wrong :p

For cheap kit, you could try ebay (as mentioned), army surplus, keep an eye on members classifieds here, or if there's something specific you want, post up a 'wanted' thread and see what appears.

They're a helpful bunch round here, and if you want advice on kit try the search function - there's loads of articles and threads to read through - If they don't answer your questions then, again post a thread..

Oh and Welcome :)

p.s why not post a thread in "Introductions & Welcomes" - tell us a bit about yourself ;)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
This does crop up often, and so many things are touted as being the best but our perceptions change. i was thinking along the lines of a kit for free. Could it be done? Water bottle from an old pop bottle, fuel bottle a smaller panda pop bottle, cup made from an old bean tin, cooker from a larger tin can, etc. It may be doable to get a kit together and lay out very little in the way of money. A dry bag inside a bergen? Why not make a system to just carry the dry bag with all your kit in? It would be interesting for other ideas.

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Now that is interesting spamel. Having not camped out for more years than I care to remember I'm currently rebuilding all the bits of kit that I seem to have mislaid over the years. It's something that I've been throwing money at (something that is going to get me into trouble with SWMBO). I should stop and think about just what you've said.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have a couple of bits still for sale:

British Army issue mess tins £5

Leatherman Core - Brand new £45

All prices included P&P.
I'm afraid I can only accept Cheques or Postal orders

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have a couple of bits still for sale:

British Army issue mess tins £5

Leatherman Core - Brand new £45

All prices included P&P.
I'm afraid I can only accept Cheques or Postal orders

Nice plug Greg - I don`t think anyone noticed :rolleyes:

Rich

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
you can find most of what u need around the house and shed if you look .Only you may want to buy a decent rucksac or bag

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have a look at the DIY forum surrey, there`s loads of good homemade gear in there which can be knocked up for a few quid.

Concentrate your hard earned cash on a decent rucksack, boots and sleeeping bag.

Rich

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
What kit you need to survive depends basically on what knowledge and experience you already have in the area you expect to survive in. Cheap gear or expensive designer stuff won't matter a jot if you don't know how to get the best out of it.

As Spam said, you can make a decent basic kit up from stuff already in your house. You need to consider Shelter (tarp or tent), Warmth (Sleep system, stove or fire), Water (storage/carrying/purifying) and Food (carry it in/forage or trap it).

Once you have addressed the above, and know how to use it, everything else just adds to your comfort and is a bonus.

Eric

Feb 3, 2008
Reigate, Surrey
Thanks for the help guys.

I have some quality boots and an expensive patagonia anorak from a rich uncle. Need a rucksack, sleeping sack and tarp. Wil post more in introduction thread. What is a mess tin?

Boon

Oct 10, 2007
lincolnshire
at the moment around our area the company directsports.com are having massive sales. they are doing 65ltr karemore (ajustable) rucksacks for £25 instead of £79 also there sleeping bags, and rolemats are very cheap. worth a look. if there isnt one of there shopps by you go on to there website and have a look. got my son the rucksack and rolemate for his DofE and they are very good.

Boon

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Keep an eye out in charity shops and car boots as well

I have aquired over weekend a craghoppers daysack(free), a 2 Litre genuine camelback hydration system(£2.99) and best of all in my eyes an old canvas backed inflatable pillow still with tags reading"Li Lo" printed on canvas and "Joseph Bryant Ltd Bristol 19" by 4" 10/6"-I paid 99p
I thinks its kinda cute

Car boots are coming soon and they can have a wealth of stuff

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Alpkit supply good kit at low prices. They advertise on BCUK under 'Partners'. They do a lightweight bivvi bag.

No connection, just a satisfied customer

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE