New Zealand pack from 1971

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Here is a few pics of a 40 year classic kiwi canvas backpack I picked up.The maker is W.J. Hall(1971) who no longer seem to be in business.That's is a bit of a pity as it is a really well made pack of a stranded rarely seen in gear these days.This was called there Everest model so I take it was there top of the range pack,back in the day.

NZpack001.jpg

Always interesting to see old gear like this can't be too many of these old packs out there..A one time the norm the external frame pack seem too of had there day.I found this company called Kelty in the states,this is one of the few places still making packs with external frames..

http://www.kelty.com/c-12-external-frame.aspx

NZpack010.jpg

The pack is mostly hefty canvas and leather the frame itself is chromed steel.It has two large external pockets an a map pocket under the lid.Not sure of the exact size but must be something like 80 to 90 liters at least.

NZpack006.jpg

The hardness system is a pretty primitive by today's standards.Three black nylon straps go a across your back with the wide leather shoulders strap.There is no belt so the load is carried totally on you shoulders..I have to say not having a belt makes the pack a bit uncomfortable

NZpack005.jpg

On the top of the frame there is this strange metal attachment.This metal bit unscrews from the main H frame,perhaps some kind of holder for a water bottle????

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I understand that some of those older pack frames were designed to carry fuel in the tubes. I'd guess that the T-shaped fitting is a combined stopper & pouring spout - unscrew it from present position then screw other part in and the angled end will form the spout.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I understand that some of those older pack frames were designed to carry fuel in the tubes. I'd guess that the T-shaped fitting is a combined stopper & pouring spout - unscrew it from present position then screw other part in and the angled end will form the spout.

Correct... Carrying fuel in pack frame tubes was quite common practice in NZ...

Halls became Hallmark and they went out of business approx 15 years ago..

The Everest featherweight was the top external framed model this had an alloy frame and textured nylon fabric.

I find old ones quite often at the dump when we take our household waste for disposal...

Here is one I took pity on and did up....

DSCF2044.jpg

DSCF2043.jpg

DSCF2046.jpg

DSCF2231.jpg

DSCF2232.jpg

This pack was sized for a woman or youth... Very well made about 50-60 L

I also found a Everest Feather Weight and used it for a few trips before selling it on...

Heres a picture of it I dug out...

DSCF1973.jpg

Really good packs for the day they were made...

Last edited:

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Thanks Johnboy heaps of cool info and great pics.!!!Using the frame has a fuel carrier in a bit of a novel idea.How do you find using the pack??I hope to use my one if I rig up some kind belt.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

No problem on the info.... The Everest was actually pretty comfy even without a waist belt. It was a big capacity pack I think you are correct it was at least 80L...

Mine had a decent sized lid pocket and a large outer pocket which was pretty useful..

Have fun and enjoy it for some trips...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE