New torch advise

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi,

Been on a quest to find the right torch for my keyring for a while, and looking for some advise on my next purchase.

I've currently got a Lenser p3, it's a bit on the large size for a keyring, but it has a great light output and I wouldn't sacfrifice output for size.

Whilst the Lenser is great, there is a couple of things that could suit my needs better.

1. The key right attachement point is very thin, & fear it could easily break, so I've actually rigged up an additional tie in point using the clip.

2. With a push button, I often wonder if I may have accidently switched it on, draining the battery.

3. The torch only has 1 setting, on or off, albeit with an adjustable beam, I'd like something with a flash setting too.

So I'm looking for a great torch, no bigger than what I have, with equal to or better light output, a good strong attachemnt point for my keyring, a swivel on/off opperaion and a flash setting.

Any recommendations?

Cheers for the advise :)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Really depends on how much you want to pay, i've used a Maglite Solitaire with a LED upgrade that i thought was great for a few years till i started getting into torches.

I then went for a Fenix LD01 (72 lumens and it takes AAA batteries)
http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=61

IMG_8687.jpg

Good solid reliable little torch with a useful beam.

Only downside was it started to getting battered around a fair bit, so i then bought the Stainless steel version as i was happy with the plain jane one and felt the SS version would be a noggin brighter (77 lm) and take the bumps better.

IMG_8761.jpg

Problem with the SS version though was that the head was VERY tight, i cleaned it up and lubed it and even ran a tap and die down the threads but still it was mega tight, as i only have the use of 1 arm i ended up giving that to the Mrs.

So i gave up for a while but then found the Klaus Mi X6 Ti.
As it's titanium i wasn't too worried about it getting knocked about, plus it was slightly brighter than my LD01 at 86 lm.
http://www.klaruslight.com/plist_show.php?id=20&lge=en

IMG_0998.jpg

Had it a while now and i really like the light.
I paid £37 for the Mi X6 Ti which is about £5 more than i paid for my LD01, so for the extra few lumens (the X6 also has strobe) and the extra toughness of Titanium i'd say the few quid extra was worth it.

Although the black LD01 has since been thrown onto my works keys and has been used and abused but still keeps going.

norca

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2012
leeds
i know its not a key type but i use a LED LENSER P7 got it in a leather pouch on me belt dont go anywere without it
had it for 3 years had the 6 before love it high low and flash quick and easy to get and i know were it is at all times day or night must say i like the ti one have to have a look at them not that i need to :)

Jan 15, 2012
essex
3. The torch only has 1 setting, on or off, albeit with an adjustable beam, I'd like something with a flash setting too.
Do you mean a strobe "flash setting" dont think you can on the small flashlights.
I use a fenix e05, all above lights are good ones.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I have bought several torches from dealextreme and tried many other cheaper torches.

They mostly torches with a decent output and a fairly decent beam, problem i have is their reliability, which coupled to the fact that usually the only time you use a torch is when you NEED it and personally i've found that because i've had the odd cheapo torch pail on me i'd sooner throw a more money at a solution that i can depend on.

With regards to the strobe.
Apart from when riding the pushbike i've yet to have any other use for a strobe on any of my lights, the Klarus Mi X6 does have a strobe function though.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Thanks Phil.

Love the X11, great looking torch.

Problem i have is that Zebralight have spoilt me, my TK21 was one of the first decent lights i bought and i thought it was, then came along the SC600 that really just blew it out the water.

The SC600 is smaller, lighter and nearly twice the lumens of my TK21, plus the SC600 has a mega useful beam for a light of that power (750lm on turbo).
The beam and power is THAT good it's kinda made most my other lights look kinda weak or large in comparison.

Generally i take either my SC600 or H600 out hiking and usually i throw the TK31 in the rucksack in case i need a bit more throw.

The Dereelight DBS is laser like in throw, but the beam is a bit of a 1 trick pony in that apart from a very bright spot there isn't really much of a flood around it.

The TK70 is an absolutely fantastic light, really does take your breath away, but after lugging it around on a couple of hikes i no longer bother and tend to just keep it in the car now as it's just to heavy and bulky to lug around when hiking :(

Jan 15, 2012
essex
sc600 is good light, the big fenix is a little on the big side camping ect, good to keep in the car like you do.
I might get 1 or 2 more lights lol was thinking or getting a sunwayman v11r with the aa adapter can use it for a few things then. would like a light what took some aa's too like a tk41, be a safe mid size light, got to be carefull with the multi 18650s.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I would second what some others have said about Fenix torches. I have 2, and they are the best torches I have ever owned.

I use them as bike lights mostly, and they are more than adequate for lighting my way in total darkness at speeds of around 15-20mph.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi,

Thanks for your replys, especially cbr6fs for your indepth posts including links, comparisons & pics, which I always find really helpfull :)

The Klarus looks exactly what I am after, a little more than I was expecting to pay, but I'd rather spend a little more on something superior.

Cheers for the advise

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
sc600 is good light, the big fenix is a little on the big side camping ect, good to keep in the car like you do.
I might get 1 or 2 more lights lol was thinking or getting a sunwayman v11r with the aa adapter can use it for a few things then. would like a light what took some aa's too like a tk41, be a safe mid size light, got to be carefull with the multi 18650s.

The CR123 lights have a fantastic form factor and a really useful size.
Problem i have though is their battery life.

With the V10R Ti i had there was no doubt it was bright using 16340 cells.
Problem was though i would be lucky if i saw 20 mins out of the cell.

As a comparison i get just over 1 hour on high out of the SC600/H600.

Add to that that the H600 is nearly half as light and only 1cm taller and only 1.2mm bigger in diameter and i just felt that the H600/SC600 were slightly bigger but a LOT more useful than my V10R Ti.

That's just me for my uses, there is no doubt the V10R and V11 are some great looking torches.

I have absolutely no problems using multi lithium based cells, another hobby of mine is radio controlled craft.
So i have been using LiPo and LiFe cells for just over 10 years now.

There is absolutely no doubt caution needs to be taken, BUT in my experience caution needs to be taken with ALL cells.
The worst i've seen was a pilot that incorrectly charged his LiPo in NiMh mode, even more unfortunate was that he was charging inside his car at the time.
By the time the fire service arrived you would struggle to tell what car it was :(

NiMh's don't get off lightly though.
I have seen a NiMh cell literally explode, again in a car and again it badly burnt the car.

Personally i only buy what i believe are decent cells.
I then charge these 18650 cells on my hobby charger, that way i know 100% they are well balanced.
I can also see their voltage before charging and how much energy (amps) i'm putting back into them, so i am able to monitor their state.

The Lithium based cells of old were pretty poor, even worse though where their charges at the time, as very few people trully understood the chemistry and there were very few warnings around.
Now days cells are built very well and charges are designed specifically for lithium cells.

So if you charge with a half decent charger (always outside the house in my case as IF a cell flares the smoke is extremely acidic and will eventually eat through your paint, wallpaper, furniture etc) handle your cells well (imagine you are carrying an egg and you won't got far wrong) and looks after and monitor your cells the risk is extremely minimal.

Some may read "minimal risk" and think Lithium cells are not for them BUT a NiMh can be just as dangerous if the above precautions are not taken.

Cheers
Mark

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Hi,

Thanks for your replys, especially cbr6fs for your indepth posts including links, comparisons & pics, which I always find really helpfull :)

The Klarus looks exactly what I am after, a little more than I was expecting to pay, but I'd rather spend a little more on something superior.

Cheers for the advise

No worries, if you need anything or beam pics etc just let me know.

Can I also ask, where did you find the TI version fro £37?

Bought mine from here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300624976339&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:1123

Took a few weeks to arrive, but for that price i'm prepared to wait.

Jan 15, 2012
essex
the cheapist Klaus Mi X6 Ti i could find was £32 from ebay hong kong. (ss not ti)
I like the 2x cr123 1 18650 lights, good size and in the uk i have a jacket on the summer nights anyway so got plenty of pockets if i am just out and about. its been raining here nearly evary day for last 2 months so need a coat lol. i have one 18650 battery in a fenix tk15, going to get another one later. Yes the v11r using full power last about 30mins on a 16340 lol i was after a single aa light and that one gives me a bonus of a few type of battery i can use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE