New to Wales, need some bushcafting buddies!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
Hi guys!

Having spent the last 24 years down in Devon, and bushcrafting with the Cornwall and Devon Contingent, I've just found myself at Uni in Cardiff! I'm in a house full of barbie dolls and DESPERATE to meet up with some bushcrafters in the area soon, before I lose my mind!

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good sites near Cardiff I can go to, if there are any regular Cardiff/ S Wales meet-ups, and if anyone can save me from the fluffies! :D

I don't want to end up spending three years in a concrete jungle without a single fire, knot or night out under the tarp...

PLEASE HELP!

Joy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Fear not - there is an active Welsh contingent!
Although I am West Wales there are more who live nearer you, who I am sure will be along to say hi soon!
If you get realy desparate for some bushcraft time West Wales is full of oportunity - if you can get over this way.....

Welcome to Wales!

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Hi Joy, there is as John says a good sized welsh membership here ranging from the bridge all the way through to west wales,we meet at least once a month as a group and very often individual members meet for different activities,ie. walking,canoeing and such like.You'll be welcome to come to our meets we'll PM you for the next one.

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
Really appreciate that guys, I had my fingers well and truely crossed :) I don't have my own transport unfortunately, but I'm sure given the warning I can sort trains, buses, and however far after that I have to walk to get there :) Hope to meet you all soon!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wales is a tough place to navigate without your own wheels....
Example - I live 7 miles from town and we have 2 (two) busses a week - otherwise the nearest bus stop is 2 (two) miles away.
My nearest train station is the best part of an hour away by road (in my infamous van)....
My nearest woods that I have perm to use are, in contrast 1/4 mile away up a lane lined with sloes, blackberries, sorrel, navelwort, wild strawberries and more.....

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
Hello Joy , another of the welsh contingent here, keep your eyes peeled and an ear to the ground theres lots goin on in this neck of the woods as my good friends have already stated , perhaps see you at the fire side sometime.
ATB Roly

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Ahoy Joy...:D
Welcomes t' Cardiff....I'm currently getting a couple o' local sites tapped up fer our needs. I'll pm ye when I gets a defo fer a campout.
As the Boys have already mentioned, we do have meets once a month at various locals around wales (and even venture into the wild lands o' England!!).....There are quite a few of us here so no probz findin' a campin' bud.
Now tell us more about these 'fluffys' ye lives wi'...lol.....jkin'....Welcomes again.:beerchug:

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Wales is a tough place to navigate without your own wheels....
Example - I live 7 miles from town and we have 2 (two) busses a week - otherwise the nearest bus stop is 2 (two) miles away.
My nearest train station is the best part of an hour away by road (in my infamous van)....
My nearest woods that I have perm to use are, in contrast 1/4 mile away up a lane lined with sloes, blackberries, sorrel, navelwort, wild strawberries and more.....

John, that sounds like pure heaven m8.

Joy glad you found a few peeps, i've stomped around the Pembroke area a little myself and cardiff area used to be a regular trip (4 hours by train!)
Not such a bad place is cardiff, my only gripe is that for wales it only has 1 castle ;)

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
I'm no longer in Wales, but lived in Neath for some time. There are quite a few good places around the top end of the Neath Valley. You could catch a train to Neath and a bus from there. Or you might get into the same area by catching a train to Aberdare (Cynnon Valley) and then a bus to Hirwain (You are at the bottom of the Brecon Beacons that way.

Or another place could be the countryside around Pontrhydyfen which is just north of Port Talbot, Margam Park is also a good start. If you want a pit more beach try Kenfig nature reserve between Port Talbot/Margam and PortCawl.

Shame you've not got a car, but once you head out beyond Cardiff itself there are plenty of nice places and lots of forests.

In Cardiff you must visit the National Museum of Welsh Life at St Fagans, its full of reconstructed farm houses etc. Not quite Bushcraft but well worth a visit (especially on a quiet day) and free!

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
Not such a bad place is cardiff, my only gripe is that for wales it only has 1 castle ;)

Only one in the city centre, Castell Coch is on the outskirts! To be fair they're both follies rather than original period castles though.

South Wales really spoils you for days out in the countryside. The Beacons are well within striking distance, the Wye valley is great for canoeing and some of the coast is stunning.

apj1974 is right about St Fagans, really interesting place. They have a couple of Celtic roundhouses that are well worth spending a bit more time on and the indoor museum is more interesting than it sounds with loads of old woodworking tools to study if that's your thing. I never seem to have enough time to get around it all in one day.

Last edited:

yerbache

Forager
Nov 30, 2010
Bridport
Hi Joy,
I'm in Cardiff myself and always good to know of others who share an interest. I notice this post is a bit old, but if you're still up for it I work in the forests of south Wales so know the place pretty well!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello Joy, nice to see another ENGLISH person in Wales!:35:
I, for my sins, have to live amongst these rough welsh scoundrels! Namely that Blagard John Fenna who relieves me of coin everytime I see him! The Pirate Cap'n Badger who I put to the sword a couple of years ago :headbang:! And Roly and Sapper "The moped"...well enough said! :yikes:
Only joking, we're a friendly bunch who enjoy the trappings of South & West Wales. I hope you make it along to one of our meets, you'll be very welcome to join us around the camp fire!:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
bawwww.... how come there are no Gog' bushcrafters? we seem to be a bit of a rare breed! :(

There are Gog bushy types - have a look at youtube under "Gogs".....
The figures were modelled by a mate of mines sister.....
and you Greg - your money is always welcome! :)

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
I am also moving to South Wales in August. Got a few weekends slotted aside to try and view some accomodation. Hopefully that goes well leaving said weekends free to come and explore. I would greatly appreciate being kept in the loop of your meets if I may. Cant wait to get some time outdoor that doesnt require an hours drive just to get away from London!

rob1983

Dec 22, 2011
Cardiff
Im up for a venture, January time.. needs to walk off the beer belly and pies from the over joys of xmas.. im in the Cardiff West area.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi joyr there are a few of us that get together around pontypool and we take a few trips to dartmoor as well get in touch with the big labowski he does a few regards dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE