New to hammocking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
I've just made my hammock. Initially I lashed the ends so that the corners projected further than the middle but this made the edges of the hammock too tight. So I redid the lashing so that the ends of the hammock were all the same and this made a more floppy hammock where I could lie flatter and more diagonally if I wanted to. Does this sound right?
Also, for now I'm using a karrimat under the hammock. What solutions do others have to avoid getting cold? Underquilt - down, synthetic? Bought, home made? I'm trying to find a cheap 3 season solution. Cheap cos I'm unemployed.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I use a mat inside the hammock but under my sleeping bag, a cheaper option to an underquilt would be a string hammock strung under you main hammock with some sort of quilt between them, not sure how it would work ?

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I don't really used my hammock much, don't get out much at the minute, I have a TW lightweight one [cause I'm poor and it was around £10, and didn't want to spend money and find out I didn't like it - that was around 3-4 years ago] Since then I've got 1 for each of the kids. I've found that if you have three or four hammocks strung inside each other it helps a little with warmth, like having multiple layers of clothing on. I was thinking of getting a wind proof sheet to hang under my hammock to stop wind blowing straight through the fabric.

I suppose with multiple layers of hammock you could always fill the in-between layers with leaves / debris to provide some insulting material.

I do however had an underquilt which was a Christmas present and think it is a good bit of kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE