New to alcohol stoves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Alright fellas new to the world of alcohol stoves specifically the trangia types. I have a Swedish mess kit going to try and do a little baking with it this week has anyone been successful with it and any tips as to how long the fuel should last? According to the biscuit mix it should take around 20 minutes or so to bake it will there be enough fuel for it? So far I've heard good stuff about the kits but have not actually used one as of yet looking forward to the simplicity and quietness of them especially for riding

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've used trangia-type stoves, amongst many others, to bake with and had success with them. You need to use the simmer ring to get the slow fuel burn, and once you get the oven up to temperature it'd be too much directly focused heat for baking without one, especially in a lightweight oven. For a long time now I've used the Tatonka stainless steel stove, which is a Trangia clone but with a much greater fuel capacity and the ability to carry left-over fuel without leaks or spillage; you'll probably get your twenty minutes with the Trangia in ideal conditions but you'll get twice that with the Tatonka for about the same weight. They're not expensive, you can get a simmer ring for them and they'll fit most other kit that the Trangia does, I think very highly of mine.

A good tip for baking with these is to cut some silicone baking sheet to fit the base and sides of your oven, this lining eliminates sticking and clean up and makes the whole system much more forgiving.

Have fun with your biscuit making and let us know how you get on :)

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Thanks for the tips bud. I just tried it today for the first time with making some cowboy coffee very impressed with it. I'll be sure to post some pics of it action.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Well finally got to try my oven idea. Based on a Swedish army svea mess kit. Used I'd guess maybe 4 ounces of alcohol total had to do a second fill up. Took maybe about 20 minutes to make a nicely flakey biscuit. Just used an instant mix. It called for milk and butter I subbed water and a bit of olive oil also gave the cup a good coat to. Made a nice crust.
Used the frying pan for the main base a few small stones to prop the canteen cup a bit covered with main pot let do it's thing.

The end product damned tasty to was a fun experiment.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Tip top idea that. I've been using the trangia set for years now but I've never really experimented with it much. I'll have to try that one though.

All the best
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE