New things that you plan on trying or doing in the new year

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
It's not here yet, but it's getting closer and closer, so what new things are you planning on doing or trying in the new year?

I'm going to have a go at shooting clays at my local club and maybe get a cheap shotgun setup, going to try to bag some crayfish once the weather warms up, make a triple layer capote and some sand boots and most of all, try to save more money too!

Just curious as to what activities & things the bushcraft community are thinking of doing.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm hoping to bulk up my rainwater harvesting setup, up the veg beds to 1,000 square feet, earn some money to render, gutter and re-window another barn, put up log store partitions in this years renovated barn, breed up some weitd heirloom aliums, experiment growing one of the "lost Inca crops" , get my hands on some Yacon, earn money to pay to have the drive sorted.....and ........relax!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not exactly bushcraft but I'm doing a self supported coast to coast walk across Scotland next May, that'll be the first time I've gone longer than a week.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Is that the TGO thing Shewie ? Year after next is my 40th and am thinking of applying for it as a "treat"- gives me a while to prepare!!

Anyways, for me it's scuba diving- next year I need to get more water time and go for my sports diver qualification.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
im going to be doing my cat C and JCB license then all terain driving with them both, ready for afghan next year, not very bushey but hey....;)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'm really looking forward to the prospect of dragging a pulk behind me in Scotland when the white stuff falls properly, rather than carrying my gear.

Proper Ice fishing and Igloo/quinzee building on the arctic course should be great too, along with hammocking in the arctic.

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
Big year for me - I turn 50 in September.
As a recent newcomer to bushcraft and to this forum, I've got a list of stuff to try that's as long as your arm, but at the top of it are to learn to wood carve properly, to improve my knowledge of our woodlands, to become a better fly fisherman, to walk the legs off our Border terrier puppy (some chance, she runs on Duracells!) and perhaps, if I can sell some stuff (like a kidney, or something), to buy a Canadian-style canoe for use on the many lochs within a short drive of my home. In the spring I want to show my kids how to harvest sweet birch sap. And I really want to spend more time outdoors than I do indoors - fat chance with the West of Scotland weather, but here's hoping.
Steve

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Next year i plan to learn alot more about bushcraft, make my own knife from scratch, get a lot more hunting in, hopefully get a full time job and ditch the self employed building lark, oh yeah, i want to win the lotto:D

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
My new year resolution will be to practice more and collect less, spend more time outside and less time surfing.

+1

My plan is to do less but more of it!

Fingers crossed should be a big year for us with our emigration plans starting to look like they could actually happen next year so plans could change......
But work hard on the things I am already doing with all my outdoorsy things, I love what I do and its always been an addiction but my saviour of late!
Offload all the stuff I no longer use & de-clutter and get out more and apply myself.

realearner

Forager
Sep 26, 2011
kent
I want to explore my local woodlands a lot more, learn all I can about bushcraft and the natural world.
Nothing much ;)

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I'm building a new display area at Amberley Museum and Hertiage Centre. I hope to build a clay oven for cooking demos.

Currently learning to chainsaw carve. Always too much too learn too little time. I hope to do an advanced paediatric life support course to improve my knowledge to drug therapy in infants.

ubermeister

Jun 17, 2007
Nottingham
I have a big year planned, so big it'll even run into the following year. I'm going to change my job, I've worked as a nightclub doorman for the last ten years and I'm thoroughly sick of it. I have taught bushcraft in the past and I'd like to get into that in a bigger way. I've also just joined the local cadet detachment as a civilian instructor so will be doing a lot more with that in the coming year.
I recently had a go at canoeing and would like to do more of that, too.
Plans-a-plenty for me then.

Last edited:
May 16, 2011
Perth
im planning on taking up archery and also training my pup to retrieve rabbits for me( not from bow hunting of course)

I'm really looking forward to the prospect of dragging a pulk behind me in Scotland when the white stuff falls properly, rather than carrying my gear.

Proper Ice fishing and Igloo/quinzee building on the arctic course should be great too, along with hammocking in the arctic.

its not looking good for snow here so far but we can hope cant wait to get out in some real snow

England Ram

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2011
Derby
Also a newbie, so getting a better understanding of the UK woodland/plant life that I have taken for granted over the past 35 years.
Improve my knife skills, including carving, but also game preparing.

I got a groupon for an area near me which I can try clay shooting, cross bow shootng and axe throwing for about £26 for 3 hours, so may continue with some of that if I like it.

Would love to get an air rifle and improve my shooting with that, but the wife doesn't want one in the house.

Also, continue building and refining my kit.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
I just want to get out more, spend more time with the kids, and work less.

Maybe find more time to get fit.

Ohhh I know the feeling...I'm working 6 days a week on evenings at the moment to make ends meet, in a cruddy job, with a vile manager who wants to beat me into submission. I don't work very long hours each day, but it's just the mere frequent sight of work that gets me down. I can't complain too much though, because it does make me plan and appreciate my day off more. I go searching new spots every Sunday!

ratcatcher

Banned
Oct 26, 2011
grays,essex
try crayfishing then, my kids loved it, spent a few hours away from tv's and xbox and they did'nt say a thing, apart from when can we go again, although 5 minutes back in the car and they were moaning at each other again,lol cant win...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE