New spoons. New knife.

tarmix101

Nov 25, 2005
Washington State U.S.A.
Received a bent knife from Del Stubbs a while back. WOW, what a great carver for spoons and small bowls. Not sure why I'm surprised. He makes a great Sloyd knife as well.

Pics of my favorite carvers and some recent/older work:

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

Carvers from left to right. Cape Forge bent knife, Pinewood forge bent knife, PWF Sloyd knife, and CF general carver:
IMG_0480.jpg

Cheers.......:D

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Nice one! I've never really got his hook knife working well, but Del's sloyd knife is my all time favourite for finer work. It has a fantastic shape that gets brilliantly into tight corners and the rounded back of the blade is kind on your thumb too.
Nicola

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
These look very good, says me who is half way through his first spoon.

Can I ask if the finish is just from the knife, or have you sanded or otherwise finished them.

Thanks,

Graham

tarmix101

Nov 25, 2005
Washington State U.S.A.
Nice work. Del's hook and sloyd are my favorites too. What are the woods on those spoons?

Thanks!

The green wood I've been carving is spruce, and white pine. The others are Tupelo and Butternut. Top pic, top spoon is white pine, middle spoon is spruce, and third is Butternut.

The other spoons that look very white are Tupelo

These look very good, says me who is half way through his first spoon.

Can I ask if the finish is just from the knife, or have you sanded or otherwise finished them.

Thanks,

Graham

Thank you!

All of my spoons have some light sanding with 400 grit. I smooth them as much as possible with my knives, and use sandpaper for the rest. I'm going to try a few our of some green birch I just harvested without sanding at all.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
Thanks for the info on sanding, I am having problems deciding whether I am going to leave my spoon as it is or whether to go for a bit of light sanding.

Fortunately, I can still some way from finishing it, so I can put the decision off for now.

Graham

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Graham,

I think some spoons work best sanded, some not. Somehow the wood will let you know when you get closer to the end.

I figure sanding adds about half again as much time to a spoon for me. Most of mine are sanded as I tend to think they really "shine" that way.

This little sugar spoon in Buckthorn just had to be sanded I thought.

stubbsengravingsugarspork2.jpg

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Received a bent knife from Del Stubbs a while back. WOW, what a great carver for spoons and small bowls. Not sure why I'm surprised. He makes a great Sloyd knife as well.

Nice spoons, nice knives. I love Del's sloyd and am working with him at the moment to develop a larger one for roughing out, looking forward to trying the prototypes out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE