New slip joints

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
There used to be a lot of interest in slipjoints around here but I haven't seen much lately. I just picked up a couple new ones that I'm pretty excited about. Made by Great Eastern Cutlery. Good walk and talk, nice fit and finish. No wobble in the blades. 1095 carbon steel and I've convexed the blades on one of them (two-bladed Scout) and they appear to be well heat treated. Some models also come in 440C but I haven't tried any of those yet.

Here is a source: JRE Industries

northfield1b.jpg

tidioute_scout1b.jpg

Any slippie fans still lurking around here? :confused:

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
There used to be a lot of interest in slipjoints around here but I haven't seen much lately. I just picked up a couple new ones that I'm pretty excited about. Made by Great Eastern Cutlery. Good walk and talk, nice fit and finish. No wobble in the blades. 1095 carbon steel and I've convexed the blades on one of them (two-bladed Scout) and they appear to be well heat treated. Some models also come in 440C but I haven't tried any of those yet.

Here is a source: JRE Industries

northfield1b.jpg

tidioute_scout1b.jpg

Any slippie fans still lurking around here? :confused:

Oh yes Hoodoo.

Two lovely examples there.

:)

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Curse you, Hoodoo! :D

Well, obviously not really... I found myself wandering through through the catalogue and have ordered one of the #73 Beaver Tail knives from "Knives Ship Free"... which they don't if you happen to live in England, but at least they ship for a reasonable amount. My old Barlow is looking a bit shabby these days and the Beaver Tail just called out to me.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Curse you, Hoodoo! :D

Well, obviously not really... I found myself wandering through through the catalogue and have ordered one of the #73 Beaver Tail knives from "Knives Ship Free"... which they don't if you happen to live in England, but at least they ship for a reasonable amount. My old Barlow is looking a bit shabby these days and the Beaver Tail just called out to me.

Sorry. :D

Give us a report on the overall quality eh? So far, everything I've seen has been real good. The company seems to take QC seriously. I figure now is the time to get them because who knows what the future holds. They could get even better, or they could get worse. I dunno. I still want to get a Pioneer two blader but I haven't found the right one yet. A Pioneer single blade clip with a liner lock added in like the Old Timer 125OT would rock my world. Or a Pioneer clip/saw combo with be a woodcrafter/hunter's delight. :)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
They look fantastic knives. The trusty slipjoint seems a little out of fashion - I cannot understand why. Most are UK-legal and are in many ways ideal for this country as they are so obviously non-threatening - more Granpa than Gangsta. They are also more comfortable for pocket carry - I remember Case did 'pocket worn' types with rounded corners.

Hoodoos new knives look really good - the upper one ideal for pocket carry.

There were some very illuminating old threads on slipjoints with great pictures. The search button is yout friend here.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hmmm....I can't let a slipjoint thread die without a fight. :swordfigh

Just got this in the mail from Billy Watson. A hand-forged Ballend Barlow.

watsonbarlow1b.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now thats a proper knife. I must admit I don't like all the fancy lettering on the blades of the others - all abit loud brash and colonial ;). The Barlow is nicely subdued though - except for the file work which is a bit "bling" for my taste

Red

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Now thats a proper knife. I must admit I don't like all the fancy lettering on the blades of the others - all abit loud brash and colonial ;). The Barlow is nicely subdued though - except for the file work which is a bit "bling" for my taste

Red

I thought you liked bling. :lmao:

smitchell-020.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats not bling - thats understated English elegance ;)

Its a bit like tweed - you grandad's Harris tweed is style - a brash red and blue "plaid" is errm not.
:nana:

Red

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've got a nice sodbuster, an Eye brand one. It's a good knife but there isn't a lot of space for it to get used at the moment!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nah mate its got sharpening marks all over it :D

The nickel silver is interesting as I have to give it a polish every now and again or it does tarnish.

Still a lovely knife mind you.

Now the blades on my Ablett are just plain black :eek:. It aint patina - just plain stains :)

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE