New self made bow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adam_myers

Sep 25, 2011
durham
I've always felt the need to make my own bow, many times i've tried and every time i failed i selected a nice piece of wood but rushed the bow and finished it in just a few hours, of course they all broke after a few tugs on the sting. so a few days ago i sat down and decided to take my time and make a good, strong and functional bow, i went to my local woods and harvested a nice straight almost knot free ash log and after some time i got it home. the log was split down the middle and the bow making begun.

here's some photos of the final bow:

IMG_0266 - Copy.jpg
IMG_0268 - Copy.jpg
IMG_0269.jpg
IMG_0272.jpg

The bow still need a few tweaks here and there and it needs drying out fully so i can reach its maximum draw weight, the finished mesurments are:

62 inch unstrung
59.5" from notch
58 " string
0.5" tips
draw weight at the moment is 35lb but will increase once the wood is fully dry.
overall the bow took 3 days to make, as i said above i didn't want to mess it up so i took plenty of time.

Thanks for reading if i missed out or you would like to know anything don't hesitate to ask please :)

Attachments

• IMG_0267 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0267 - Copy.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
nice work mate, my first attempt have all ended in the same result, SNAP! its heart breaking isn't it! this one looks nice though :) is that just normal string or have you used a proper bow string?

adam_myers

Sep 25, 2011
durham
How much more work is there to do?
Quite a fair bit, the main work is making it from a split log down to the rough shape which took about a day just to do that the rest just takes a very long time because you have to slowly take wood of so the limbs bend equally.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
nice one adam get some bow string its cheap enough on ebay bring it with you tomorrow we can have a go :)

a

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great work :)

Once its dry increase the brace hieght to about a "thumbs up", about 5 or 6 inches or the sting will slap your wrist....Hurts alot!
Tiller looks good from what i can see :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE