New Rucksack from Karrimor - Predator - Sabre 45 replacement?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

UKdave

Forager
Mar 9, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Ive been looking at the 45 and it seems to be ok,my eye has however seen the 50 (sorry forgot the name) and this sack has got me attention even more mainly because you can detach the pack from the frame,this to me makes for an exceptionaly versatile pack as if for example you want to haul an item that is to large or odd shaped you can with the help of extra straps secure it to the frame,or if you are good with a needle and thread you could make something like the MR load sling.

At the moment I have a MR nice 6500 and a LA sting,I can see that if the above "50" fits me then this will cover all my needs.

Does anybody know if I will be able to look at one in the West Sussex area?

Dave

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I finally got to look at the Predator 45 on sunday, as I went up to see Ian at RedDeer Outdoors.
What a superb bit of kit!!! It is everything the Sabre is'nt. Really well thought out and very extendable thanks to good design and MOLLE straps all over it (so you can add your favourite MaxP pouches where you need them).
They seem popular too - Ian was at Bisley last week and anyone who saw his Predator bought one off him - so he is about to reorder.
The pouches that fit the side are good too.
The one I saw was coyote brown - which is really growing on me.
N

Diamond Dave

Mar 2, 2006
Ilkeston
I finally got to look at the Predator 45 on sunday, as I went up to see Ian at RedDeer Outdoors.
What a superb bit of kit!!! It is everything the Sabre is'nt. Really well thought out and very extendable thanks to good design and MOLLE straps all over it (so you can add your favourite MaxP pouches where you need them).
They seem popular too - Ian was at Bisley last week and anyone who saw his Predator bought one off him - so he is about to reorder.
The pouches that fit the side are good too.
The one I saw was coyote brown - which is really growing on me.
N

Your'e a bad man Neil1 if you carry on like this I will have to buy one....:rolleyes:

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
I had a SF 75 and swapped it for LA Sting mainly for the adjustable back. Can't believe Karrimore have brought out a new pack with a fixed back again!

Would have loved one otherwise, but the LA sting is so much more comfortable.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I had a SF 75 and swapped it for LA Sting mainly for the adjustable back. Can't believe Karrimore have brought out a new pack with a fixed back again!

I think you have to put in to context the reason the new PRI pack exists. It's not because they thought lets knock up a bergen for the Civvy market. It's going on issue to troops for patrolling in Afghanistan and lugging kit like ECM heaps of link and other kit and comms kit etc . The MOD will have issued a spec against which companies like PRI will have tendered. For it's intended purpose a fixed back makes sense less to go wrong in the field and cheaper to manufacture.

The waist belt is a bit of a pointless add on for use in it's intended environment with Osprey Body armour etc it's just something else to faff about when you want to take the sac off if you're lying prone etc to get at link or other kit in it.. Take a look at other sacks like the Camel Bak Motherlode and Motherlode light on the former you can ditch the waistbelt as it just unvelcros and on the latter Camel Bak ditched it entirely based on feedback from troops in the field.

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
I don't get all the raving about this pack. It basically seems to be a Northern Ireland pack with the sidepockets removed and PLCE side pouch zips & clips attached (a common mod already, makes it far easier to stuff under your bergen lid, and more flexible), covered with MOLLE loops (again, becoming more and more widespread amongst squaddies).

Maybe a bit bigger (floating lid?) for operational loads in Afghanistan and with a guccier shoulder strap, waist belt and back system (but none of those are deal breakers really [padded back system means nothing under body armour!] unless you are going to be carrying ECM and tons of link, in which case I suspect it'll be issued to you for free).

Why all the excitement? NI packs with PLCE zips and clips already exist, MOLLE is on most everything now being produced (look at prevalence of Motherloads and BFMs and the multitude of copies) and larger daysacks with padded straps and belt are hardly revolutionary.

There again I haven't seen it in the flesh, maybe it is good kit, but I just can't understand why a Herrick UOR would be desirable for hiking or mooching round the woods?

Ian

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
iano, you're bang on there mate.

For anyone wanting to buy one, wait out for twelve months and you'll find the surplus market will be flooded with desert kit (if you don't mind wearin desert colours that is).

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE