new quiver

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Here are a couple of images of a quiver I made for my son for Christmas.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get his new bow done because the stave hasn't quite cured long enough.

IMG_0104.jpg

I wove the quiver is woven of rattan (shellacked) and topped it with a leather band (more for aesthetics than function. The leather had been embossed with found objects (I'm going to post a photo tutorial of used found objects as stamps soon). Also, some conchos have been added (asymetrical) for ornamentation.

Here is a detail of the top:

IMG_0103.jpg

and another:

IMG_0102.jpg

There is some hanging fringe (local grasses, leather) on the outside for camoflage purposes.

IMG_0101.jpg

hope you like it.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I Love It! :You_Rock_

looking forward to the tutorial already :D

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
That's brilliant Dogwood, looks fantastic. In a book, and I can't remember which one, I saw an illustration of a hunt taking place in Egypt in the time of the Pharaohs, their quivers were made of basket work just like that. Is your's after a particular North American native style?

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
That's brilliant Dogwood, looks fantastic. In a book, and I can't remember which one, I saw an illustration of a hunt taking place in Egypt in the time of the Pharaohs, their quivers were made of basket work just like that. Is your's after a particular North American native style?

Yes, the inspiration was the basket quivers were common among many Native American tribes. But I didn't model it after any particular tribe's style.

Many tribes used basket quivers, but the soft buckskin quiver was the dominant quiver style. Those sometimes had two vertical tubes, one for arrows and one for the bow itself. Most tribes used short bows (35 to 40 inches) that could be carried in the quiver.

However, in terms of protecting the arrows, a basket quiver is hard to beat!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
That's lovely work, Dogwood. Is it heavy, or heavier should i say, compared to a all leather one? It would also make a lovely back-pack in the same style, if it's not too heavy!

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
jojo, it's really light actually -- maybe a little heavier than all leather, but not much.

I could have gone with an even lighter weight rattan I think, but this one is strong enough to sit on without breaking.

It's funny you should mention the backpack idea -- I was thinking exactly the same thing the other day.

If you did it right, you could make a pretty wonderful backpack this way. This would be a good project... I think I might have to add it to my list.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE