New Program tonight: Surviving - with Chris Terrill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

t1234

Jul 27, 2010
sussex
New program tonight channel 5 @ 9pm . No idea who the presenter is but sounds interesting.

"1/2. Part one of two. Anthropologist, film-maker and adventurer Chris Terrill travels alone with his camera to some of the most extreme environments on the planet to find out how and why people live in the grip of nature at its most ferocious and hostile. He begins in the remote north of Norway, joining members of the indigenous Sami community who have the oldest living culture in Europe and whose herders are responsible for more than 100,000 reindeer."

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/c...1---1-surviving-the-arctic-with-chris-terrill

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
He's the documentary maker who made the 50 year old commando show, during which he completed the RM Commando course, he then went out to Afghanistan with the booties and filmed them out there...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I really enjoyed the show and its in complete contrast to Ray Mears programmes about the Sami people or certainly the group he travelled with. Whilst they still adhere to much of Sami culture and beliefs they have embraced the new also; Skidoos, modern cold weather clothing and tents, quality cooking pots etc. A good example of how cultural change is ongoing and occurring everywhere and not always for the worst.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i managed to see the post half hour into it thank god for channel 5 + 1, ive recorded it for later viewing by the synopsis it looks good...

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I really enjoyed the programme. Chris Terril comes accross really well and the end was magic (don't want to spoil it for those watching)

A stroke of luck too, as they set off from the area we are off to in 2 months time. (Karasjok)

I wonder how much the increasing wolf and bear poulation will affect the Sami herders. Very small numbers of them ATM, but increasing. I didn't realise that golden eagles could take adult reindeer either,thought they would be too big.

Nice to see the kids wrapped up in a Jervens bag in the back of the sled and I can completely understand why they come back year after year. The area is almost hypnotic in it's pull on me and I haven't got their land in my blood.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Watched this earlier on catch up and what a cracking programme it was too. Really refreshing how Chris Terrill presented it in this no frills format and he comes across as a really likeable chap, much as he did in his Royal Marine series.

I had no idea Golden Eagles were such buggers either!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE