New pocket axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
you know how it looks like when it´s used by the army, firefighters etc?
If not: search google images for "Klauenbeil TL 5110-0004"
www.google.com gets you to the dimensions: search for BWB TL, gets you to "www.bwb.org/01DB022000000001/...." click on "Verzeichnis der technischen Liegerbedingungen" fill in the TL No.:5110-0004 and/or in Titel: Klauenbeil
and you get a link to the specification PDF.

Get the drawing and "cut and carv" away all the material with a pencil (makes cutting in real life a lot easier cause the hatchet head wouldn´t suffer too much fromm unnessessary cuts)

If you pm me your adress I´ll send you real pics since I don´t have a digicam

I've just been exchanging email with someone who took this:
sarel1.jpg

and with hacksaw and lots of sanding turned it into this:
sarel3.jpg

Well the Ruger Single Six and stove are extra - but I sure admire the effort of shaping a hatchet into a lighter Hudson Bay design.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
That's neat. IMHO, I'd rather just get a Norlund off of Ebay or buy a new Snow & Nealley.

I love my 3" bit Norlund hatchet, I don't know what they made those out of but it holds an knife-like cutting edge better than many knives. I use it as an ulu as much as I do an axe.

Someone had an old Norlund, brand new, still in the original wrap, that sold on Ebay a few days ago.

This is a Snow & Nealley Penobscot Bay Kindling Axe with an 18” handle.
http://www.snowandnealley.com/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SNWS&Product_Code=011S
PenobscotBayKindling%20Axe.jpg

Reactions: TheGreenMan

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No these mini axes are really good in terms of weight to use - although they do need a baton on the larger stuff! Have you had it out to use much yet? I'd be really interested in reports on how people get on with them in live use!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:)

I'm lucky enough to have a "bush babe" as my partner. Nothing, but nothing, is more attractive than a woman who combines feminine and capable. Bushbaby is a fantastic shot, has "adopted" my Wetterlings large Hunter (with which she chops kindling for out log fires most days so I come home to a warm house), roasts a mean dinner (in a dutch oven having shot and cleaned it). I am blessed.

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, one or two have asked for updates on project "Baby Wetterlings"

I met up with Singteck today and it now has a proper "singteck system" mask :D

325980418_c15af94c67.jpg

325980417_303a92db2b.jpg

Usual arrangement of a "D" ring to clip onto one of the belt clips, baldric or pack clips that I use.

Next step is to really go to town on the head with the hand tools and really clean up the bevel. I am going to the "shiver meet" in Febuary and hope to give it a good work out then...more piccs as the axe develops

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
oetzi said:
Red, can you give me the exact name and article-No from the attatched leaflet?
I cant find this axe neither at any suppliers website nor at Wetterlings.
Thank you

Oetzi,

I was finishing off the little axe today and found the leaflet -

The name is Vandringsyxa or Belt axe Model No is TUR 030 10H

I worked on the bevel a lot with GB axe file and diamond file followed by the formal wet and dry for about an hour tonight and the bevel is now much improved

353018058_ad7254eae1.jpg

353018062_0c29212455.jpg

I would say if anyone wants a small pocket or mini axe this is well worth considering - but if haveing to tidy the bevel bothers you - pay the extra £25 and get the GB. If you are happy to get busy, £20 and a couple of hours buys a good tool.

Red

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
Hey Red!

Have you got to do any chopping with this yet?

I'm interested to see how it does.

I like the GB mini but I'm betting this one is slightly heavier so would chop slightly better but lighter than a GB Wildlife.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I gave it a light workout last night after I finished on the bevel. Splitting ash and birch logs 8" long 4-6" in diameter was one blow. Now Ash splits easy anyway but the birch went nicely too so I was very pleased. I haven't batoned or put it to work hard yet but I'm off to the woods in 3 or 4 weeks and will give it a hard workout then - want some piccs?

Red

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
British Red said:
I gave it a light workout last night after I finished on the bevel. Splitting ash and birch logs 8" long 4-6" in diameter was one blow. Now Ash splits easy anyway but the birch went nicely too so I was very pleased. I haven't batoned or put it to work hard yet but I'm off to the woods in 3 or 4 weeks and will give it a hard workout then - want some piccs?

Red

Yeah, if you don't care to take them. That actually sounds like more splitting power than the GB mini.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE