New Petzl LED head torch...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
the new petzl Tactikka is out now/soon and looks very interesting for campers/bushcrafters...

features...

tactikka.jpg

The Tactikka is identical to the Petzl E43P Tikka LED headlamp except it adds a unique feature in that it has a red fold up lens. No longer do you need to carry a red filter kit around if you need both the white light and the red light. So, just flip up the red lens to preserve your night vision, flip it down if you need to find something. It comes with either a black headband or cammo. It would appear that it's identical to the original tikka, 3 LED's and a simple slide on/off switch. Which is a great shame, as the tikka+ with 4 LED's, variable head angle and multi-mode switch is a much better torch. It would seem more logical to me, to have this night vision preserving feature, on a torch that is also capable of low light output mode. Perhaps Petzl will release a tactikka+ in the fullness of time.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Gaaaa! He posted it here too! Now I really want one! :lol:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
they didnt make a tactical verson the Tikka + because the hinge mecanisam was not soldier proof

the original tikka though not quite as good is more robust (less moving parts, stronger switch, less electronics)

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
The original Tikka was pretty robust ... you could give it a good soaking and it would still work when dried out and I liked the fact that all the contacts were stainless steel so there was no chance of corrosion even if the bats exploded all over the inside! :shock:

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
i LLLLLLLLLLlloooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeee my Tikka plus . Its gotta be one of the best bits of outdoor kit invented recently. The Tikka is a pain as you end up craning your neck to get the beam where you need it. Inherantly floored if you ask me. Has anyone got the filter kit for the tikka plus?
Cheers
Rich

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I picked up my filter kit from Cotswold Outdoor in Betws y Coed. I think it is this one here http://www.cotswold-outdoor.com/Cat/75934
Roving Rich said:
i LLLLLLLLLLlloooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeee my Tikka plus . Its gotta be one of the best bits of outdoor kit invented recently. The Tikka is a pain as you end up craning your neck to get the beam where you need it. Inherantly floored if you ask me. Has anyone got the filter kit for the tikka plus?
Cheers
Rich

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Roving Rich said:
i LLLLLLLLLLlloooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeee my Tikka plus . Its gotta be one of the best bits of outdoor kit invented recently. The Tikka is a pain as you end up craning your neck to get the beam where you need it.

I'd have to agree, the tikka+ is a great piece of gear. I liked the tikka too, simple, neat, light, tough, but the plus has definitely got the edge. Apart from being brighter, with it's 4x LED's over the old 3x LED's, you can set it to low output which is great for reading and like you say Rich, the variable head angle is such an addition to comfort, that it's almosta "shouldn't be without it" feature. Also, the on off switch is much better, the slide switch on the original was a pain to operate, especially with gloved hands. The hinge might not be "soldier-proof" on the plus, but it doesnt strike me as being in the least bit weak.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
uuhhh, sorry guys, the torch you've all been looking for is actually a princetontech aurora! :cool: :lol: waterproof to several tens of metres, adjustable angle, five operating modes....

cheers, and.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Your probably right, but i have never seen one in the shops! Or anywhere other than the net for that matter. The holy grale of headtorches me finks. :notworthy
Is that one for sale in the classified section ?
Cheers
Rich

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Anyone tried a homebrew bulb to LED conversion? :?: :idea:

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Stew my Zoom is now well and truly redundant now.
I lurve my tikka plus :rolmao: :eek:): :eek:):
Now Adi, Did you know you can get a maglite to LED conversion, thing is our beloved leader Tone came up with a cunning plan, a plan so cunning.....
Problem is i don't know if he wants to patent his brainwave or share it with us mere mortals :notworthy :nana:
TONE !!!
(he'll be along in a moment)

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I have been thinking of updating for a while now but thought I would resist for a little bit. There's been such a boom in the development of new head torches recently with the use of LEDs that I thought it best to see what happens in their design and let prices drop a bit.

The Tikka is a good example. I know lots of people who got one straight away, but there are better versions now. I know that whatever i get it'll be outdated quickly, but i might as well get something with the features I want.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I await his imput!!! :notworthy :You_Rock_ :notworthy

Roving Rich said:
Stew my Zoom is now well and truly redundant now.
I lurve my tikka plus :rolmao: :eek:): :eek:):
Now Adi, Did you know you can get a maglite to LED conversion, thing is our beloved leader Tone came up with a cunning plan, a plan so cunning.....
Problem is i don't know if he wants to patent his brainwave or share it with us mere mortals :notworthy :nana:
TONE !!!
(he'll be along in a moment)

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
talking about technology quickly becoming redundant

it is now possible to get holed of 5 watt LEDS

just one five watt LED is so bright that its blinding

some cavers in the US started making caving lamps from them but had to reduce the power because the scatter back was making their eyes hurt

they are also available in 1 and 3 watt versions, and come with a lens which takes all the light from the LED and turns it into a solid focused beam (unlike the normal dispersed effect you get with LEDs at the moment)

when these become mainstream the bulb will be dead! and led torches will have more power than a maglite with pure white light in a focused beam, but more than triple the burn time and as small as a petzl tikka!

I got a couple of them as prototypes a while ago, even had to sign a declaration that i wouldnt let anyone know about them

but they are available to buy now, they are manufactured by lumileds, the LED + the board + the lens togeather is about the same size as a stack of 3 £1 coins

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Stuart said:
talking about technology quickly becoming redundant

it is now possible to get holed of 5 watt LEDS

just one five watt LED is so bright that its blinding

Yeah they're nice. Here's the 5watter I own (a Surefire L4)... fitted onto an e1e body, it's about 2.5 inches long...

l4e1e.jpg

A comparison with other small torches...

l4.jpg

...and finally an outdoor shot...

kl42.jpg

Yeah, they're nice. :-D :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE