new member needs help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lukem

Jan 15, 2010
greenock/edingburgh
well i have 250 pound from xmas and i want to get some bush craft gear i alredy have 2 axes a few knives and a ruck sack

but i need more and i want it to be able to fit in my 35 leter rucksack as when i normaly go camping its with my mum and bro and we take the car and its packed to the top and there is only 3 of us i would like to do it proper style luke hamocking ect any ideas what i should buy

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
well standard bushcrafting caper I guess would be:

A hammock
A theremerest or sleeping mat
A tarp
A firesteel
some warm clothes
Sleeping bag.

I think for better help you'll need to be a bit more specific in where you're going and for how long really, but I suppose that would be the short term stay basics covered.

hope that helps

Wil

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
what sort of knives and axes? if its only cheapish ones then you would be surprised how much sharper gransfors bruks axes are. also how much custom bushcraft knives are than machine made ones.
it depends whether you want to spend it all on a few things or on lots of cheaper things.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
As a guide ....

Something to sleep in
Something to sleep on
Something to sleep under

Something to cook in
Something to cook on

Wil makes a good point in that a lot of it depends where and when you'll be heading out.

I'd go for ...

The best sleeping bag you can afford, rating depending on when you'll be out.
A decent size tarp like a DD 3x3, that will do you for hammocking and bivvying.
If you prefer to bivvy then get a army issue "goretex" bivvy bag.
If you want to hammock then get a DD, Nomad Travel Jungle or a Nomads Land XXL.
Thermarest or a closed cell foam mat.
A useful size billy can, shop bought Zebra or something you make yourself.
Plenty of dry bags.
Some spark friendly clothes like cotton trews and a thick wool shirt.
A decent pair of boots.

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
To quote Ray Mears from Essential Bushcraft:

* Something to carry your outfit in
* Something to sleep under
* Something to sleep in
* Something to sleep on
* Navigational equipment
* Something to cook over
* Something to cook in
* Something to carry water
* a mug
* eating utensils (above all spoon)
* food
* medical kit
* illumination at night
* wash kit
* clothing

35 lt is too small for anything more than a day sack TBH. Average is 45-55lt at least if you're going to spend a couple of days camping. (having said that I can fit summer gear plus summer sleeping bag in my 35lt rucksack)

Go to your local surplus shop and stock up on ex-army gear, don't go crazy on buying brand new stuff, it will take a few failed attempts before you find the gear that fits YOU. Plus if the gear is good enough for soldiers, trust me it's good enough for us. - As a word of warning though avoid Camo/DPM gear as it will possibly draw attention to you and may be even confused for a squaddie. - I tend to buy my gear in either civvy colours (greys, blacks) or earth-based colours like Olive, greens and browns.

The most important bit of your kit is going to be your boots but they shouldn't cost more than £35-ish (German Para boots or something along those lines).

Also ebay is a good source of surplus gear.

Having said the above consider the following:

Skills are more important than gear, so you might want to consider a weekend bushcraft course (probably around the £180-£200 mark is a fair price for a 1-2 day course unless you want to do the Woodlore one which is a nice £300 and that's IF you manage to find a spot). Doing a course it will also help you figure out what gear will work the best for you.

-Arri

Last edited:

lukem

Jan 15, 2010
greenock/edingburgh
well i have got the type of cloths as i do hunting so i have thick wolly jumpers and that kind of stuff i also hav a really good sleeping bag as my nana got me it when i was in cadets but i have stopd that as ther was boys in it that were bulling me but no more

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Hi mate

Quick bit of info for you :)

Clothing
Start from the ground up so good quality boots, decent wool socks, heavy cotton cargo pocket type trousers, wool or heavy cotton shirt, old army woolly pully from a surplus store and a decent quality jacket like a second hand barbour is a good start.

Kit
Cutting
Frosts Mora knife like from here: http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=134843522
But only if you are legally old enough to own one (16) of course and follow some of the guides on BCUK for safe usage of any tools inc knives.

Cooking
Look up hobo stoves and diy billies and get the bits from Wilkos for a couple of quide. Part of the fun of bushcraft is being able to make things for yourself which is so much more satisfying than buying kit IMHO. Buy a firesteel. One of the best tools to own.
NATO water bottle. Bombproof and quite cheap from fleabay.

Shelter
Good quality htarp like as said above a 3m x 3m DD or similar
Thermarest
Best quality sleeping bag u can afford.
Hammock (Can be very expensive)

This list should start u off kit wise but lots of enthusiasm and a willingness to learn are also vital parts of the whole bushcraft experience. Get to a library and get as many books on our environment, bushcraft, the natural world, traditional crafts and read them to get a good understanding of everything relating to your new hobby then get out there with friends and mates from on BCUK and practice, practice, practice.

And enjoy it ;)

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
35 liters should be enough for a weekend, although you would have to expand your budget a bit.

I would probably skip the surplus clothing, work wear is more hard wearing and not that much more expensive. And a chinese fleabay smock is cheaper than a used military one (from what I've seen so far). But most of all I would try to use clothing that I already own. And as you have hunting clothes you should be all settled.

A soda bottle is cheaper and just as good as a nato one, probably lighter too. Military flasks usually have too small opening to be cleaned easily anyway, so what's the use, really? A nalgene or a wide opening camelbak bladder type is better than the soda bottle, but still, it's just a vessel for water anyway.

A simple roll mat is just as good as a thermarest IMO. My prefered sleeping mat is the ridgerest, light weight and effective. I tried hammocking, and it was nice, although I would advice the aspiring outdoorsman to start out by building lean-toos (with tarp if needed) and similar shelters and really try the basics first.

If you gonna buy any books, there are two that are miles ahead of anything RM has ever produced: 'Bushcraft' by Mors Kochanski and 'Wilderness Hints' by Lars Monsen.

Last edited:

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
well i have 250 pound from xmas and i want to get some bush craft gear i alredy have 2 axes a few knives and a ruck sack

but i need more and i want it to be able to fit in my 35 leter rucksack as when i normaly go camping its with my mum and bro and we take the car and its packed to the top and there is only 3 of us i would like to do it proper style luke hamocking ect any ideas what i should buy

maybe spend it on a day or two's bushcraft/survival course so you can learn the basics of using those knives and axes safely?

from the way you speak you sound quite young, as in under 18, i would be very careful carrying any bladed articles on public land (which includes publicly accessible campsites) as i understand the knife laws in scotland are even more strict than in the rest of the UK

survival-school.org do courses in your budget, depending on your age, they do a young survivalist 2 day course (aimed i guess at 7-14yo) you need a guardian with you but they are free! or if you are over 18 or can sweet talk someone over 18 to come with you 9and pay for themselves) they do more "adult" courses a 3 day one in your price range, so for over 14.. or like me, 40!!! going on 14 ;)

im not part of the company or anything, although i am going on one of their courses very soon

its all very well having the kit... but we all need to learn the skills to use that kit safely and skilfully :)

hope you have fun

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Hammocks are no good, what you need is a small tent.
I have various tents...all used for different purposes.
My smallest is a beach shelter with a door. it is not fancy but it takes me and my kit.
My sleeping bag is a Highlander Phantom 250
I use a beach lilo as a mattress
you need a pillow. I use a cloth bag filled with spare clothes.

I get a lot of my kit from car boots, if i dont like it I trade it on here.

Big swedes reccomendations on books are good.

Id add Kephart (woodcraft and camping) and Nessmuk.

Ray Mears I find to be rather boring.

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
that is a good web site but im not sure what of that stuff to buy

well mate its pointless buying a load of gear if you have nowt to carry it in so id start with a decent rucksack. after that.....

a pair of pro boots (for winter) and some desert boots(for summer)

some decent socks ( i have the arctic ones which i use for work and ,even when wet, they keep my piggies nice and comfy/warm) .

then some good headwear, one for the summer (eg baseball cap) and one for the winter (eg an ushanka, russian cossack hat)

some gloves(i favour town and country leather gloves which you can find on ebay or at most garden centers)

after all that you need to start thinking about water, fire, food and shelter
so... 58 pattern water bottle and mug, and prehaps a pouch to keep it in
a fire steel and a decent lighter
a hexi cooker is a good start a billy can set ( i have a german issue set) and a kfs
a tarp of one description or another and a sleeping/bivvy bag+mat
a decent knife the mora clipper is really good as a starter sharp
hope this helps
lee

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Here's a slightly different viewpoint,

Don't buy anything - if you are already prepared for camping holidays, talk your family into attending next summers Bushmoot. You'll be able to chat with loads of people, try out and see all manner of kit & tools, you'll be astouded by the number of workshops you could attend to build your skills and your family will probably have a fun time too. There'll be kit for sale or trade at the best prices around if you really have to buy something. You could return home with a much clearer idea of the kit you are likely to get on with, some new skills and a whole lot more besides.

Hope this helps

Ogri the trog

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Oh come on wilderbeast, its a great bag, i took it to North Rona.

glad you like it! I think they're great, I took mine out in winter last year before I got my mountain equipment from dad, it was superb and you can't beat them for value for money!

Rob_Beek

Forager
Dec 19, 2009
Crewe
35 liters should be enough for a weekend, although you would have to expand your budget a bit.

I would probably skip the surplus clothing, work wear is more hard wearing and not that much more expensive. And a chinese fleabay smock is cheaper than a used military one (from what I've seen so far). But most of all I would try to use clothing that I already own. And as you have hunting clothes you should be all settled.

A soda bottle is cheaper and just as good as a nato one, probably lighter too. Military flasks usually have too small opening to be cleaned easily anyway, so what's the use, really? A nalgene or a wide opening camelbak bladder type is better than the soda bottle, but still, it's just a vessel for water anyway.

A simple roll mat is just as good as a thermarest IMO. My prefered sleeping mat is the ridgerest, light weight and effective. I tried hammocking, and it was nice, although I would advice the aspiring outdoorsman to start out by building lean-toos (with tarp if needed) and similar shelters and really try the basics first.

If you gonna buy any books, there are two that are miles ahead of anything RM has ever produced: 'Bushcraft' by Mors Kochanski and 'Wilderness Hints' by Lars Monsen.

A simple roll mat is not as good as a thermarest IMO!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE