New magazine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
Hi all

I have just been given a copy of a new magazine called "Living Woods" which I think may be of interest to bushcrafty types. It advertises itself as being about woodland crafts, trees and wildlife, environment and bushcraft. The first issue has articles on such things as; woodland food, building wooden houses, green woodworking projects and quite a few woodland events and attractions.
livingwoods.jpg

It seems to be aimed at people with an interest in woodland, crafts and outdoor living rather than forestry professionals.

More info on getting hold of it here,

http://britishwoodworking.com/Living Woods.html

Usual disclaimer, I have no connection to the publishers etc.

Steve

Living Woods is indeed a new magazine. We've just recently published the first issue, and will happily send a sample to anyone who asks. Simply email me at the address below. Thanks to all the members who have contacted us already. Their copies should be with them within a couple of days.

The magazine is aimed at anyone who loves trees, woods and timber, or works for a wood-related business. We cover anything from foraging to green woodworking, and hope our Wood Food Guide will inspire people to source more food from woodlands, or buy bread that's been cooked in a wood-fuelled oven, or anything like that.

We want to hear your stories and experiences, and have your feedback. There isn't much bushcraft in the first issue, but we plan to cover survival skills in woods and forests, plus wild camping and adventures and walks in forests. So send us your suggestions.

Obviously we'll be mentioning bushcraft.co.uk in the mag. Most of our experience is in woodworking and woodlands, so we'll appreciate anyone who can help us with bushcraft skills and knowledge.

Thanks

Nick

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nice to have you on board, I will have to get in touch for a sample copy too, and I'm sure if you wanted people from the site to write small articles, there are many that would be interested. There are a number of people on here that wrote articles for bushcraftuk's own magazine when it was in production, and some write for other magazines too. There is a wealth of knowledge with regards to bushcraft and also a number of fine wood carver on the boards that could possibly write a good article for you. I'll not put their names forward as they may well not be interested in doing that, but if you were to post interest in that sort of thing then these people may contact you and you'd have a few more articles for the mag. I wish you luck with the mag!

ganstey

Settler
My sample copy turned up this morning (thanks Nick). First impressions after a quick flick through are that it looks very good indeed. There's a good range of subject matter, so should be something in there for all the family. Also a good mix between news/academic stuff, and practical stuff. Haven't had chance to have a proper read yet, as I really ought to be getting on with other things.

I've subscribed to new magazines a couple of times in the past, and they've all lost their appeal after a couple of years, as they end up regurgitating the same articles, but with different wording and pictures. Hopefully, given the amount of potential subject matter, this one will be different, and keep feeding us new ideas/tips/articles for many years to come.

G

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I also recieved mine earlier. I'm very excited by this magazine, it seems to strike a good balance on different types of articles. I read a few, the shave horse and squirrel articles grabbed my attention, as did the pheasant article. One or two didn't grab me straight away, the mechanical bowl carving whotsit, but that's just because it was a cursory flick through whilst having a sausage sarnie! That's not to say they weren't interesting though, it's just that I skipped them to go back to later, it's how I do things with magazines. I never used to read the Bash Street Kids until the very end when I got the Beano as a kid, so go figure! :rolleyes:

I think I may be getting my subscription in, seeing how I've worked damned hard this week I think I deserve it! Cheers for the first edition Nick, very entertaining so far.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Had a bit of a look through my copy, thanks Nick! It all seems quite good for a first issue.
I did think that having mentioned the Ray Mears name in the piece on bushcraft training, it might have been nice if you included Woodlore in the list of bushcraft schools, but that's just me.
Keep up the good work, I'm seriously considering a subscription.

Dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have just got mine as well - it looks very good with some very interesting articles, a good layout and design style and a great balance of subject matter.
I will be sorting out my sub today.
Thanks Nick!

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Mine was waiting for me when i got home from work and, you know what, i'm not happy.

The reason; because i have read it from cover to cover already. I could'nt put it down. Very well written, accessible to the layman, informative without going too far either way. Something for everyone, it's presentation is very pleasing to the eye. I WILL be subscribing and got to say good work Nick, really enjoyable!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE