New knife being born...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
OK, so this morning saw #284 in the same state as the 'phone photo I posted yesterday, here's it with a better camera...

0012.jpg

If a handle is to be 'fishtailed' in shape I always start that shaping at the butt end, here hafted a little further, a bit more shape...

0032.jpg

Here I have that butt end exactly as I want it, shaping/symmetry, all there although still at 40g...

009.jpg

I then start hafting the front ends of the scales, just flat at this stage, I'm just looking for almost final and even thicknesses on both sides...

011.jpg

Once to thickness it's a case of taking the corners off, shaping and blending, still 40g...

019.jpg

This next photo shows everything shaped and blended and now taken down to 120g...

020.jpg

Once I am at 120g the shape will not change at all, removing material accurately at fine grades is not easy, so from the photo above not much changes that can be show in a photo, 120g > 240g > 400g > a grease loaded 400g > polishing mop...

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

So, that see's #284 ready for leather....

Cheers all :)

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Looks good!

- 'a grease loaded 400g'??? - is this something to do with the bone?

I bet it smells 'lovley' while you are sanding though......... :yuck:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That's what I like to see :D

Earns it's keep does that knife Stu. Sees dirt and guts and all sorts of stuff. Dropped it six foot down a rockface while cutting a bramble out of my way a couple of weeks ago, landed on scree and bounced three feet over some rocks. I was expecting the worst as it landed on the blade, but all it got was a little dent on the spine and a very slight chip to the tip which will sharpen out next time the benchstones are needed. That high scandi grind of yours is a winner.

stuart m

Nomad
May 18, 2006
Sheffield
www.stuartmitchellknives.com
Earns it's keep does that knife Stu. Sees dirt and guts and all sorts of stuff. Dropped it six foot down a rockface while cutting a bramble out of my way a couple of weeks ago, landed on scree and bounced three feet over some rocks. I was expecting the worst as it landed on the blade, but all it got was a little dent on the spine and a very slight chip to the tip which will sharpen out next time the benchstones are needed. That high scandi grind of yours is a winner.
I might stop making your knives Jon :eek:

:D

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
He obviously doesn't love and care for them Stu - send the new one to me mate - i'll love it and give it a good home!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I might stop making your knives Jon :eek:

:D

Wasn't my fault, whining girls with me moaning about nettle stings and brambles caught in their hair. Never abuse your knives on purpose. Well maybe once...

21JULY200817.jpg

Well.. maybe twice...

6Feb200914.jpg

3Feb20098.jpg

Well, three times maybe.. but that's it.. honest..

21JULY200843.jpg

21JULY200846.jpg

21JULY200842-1.jpg

Weeeeell.. you could add another perhaps...

22April20102.jpg

DSC07260.jpg

DSC07622.jpg

DSC07572.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That bone really looks well Jon / Stu

I love these threads.........

I'm really chuffed with how that bone came out. You can't predict how antler or bone will look underneath, but we did with that piece. I don't know of many makers that keep in touch and go every step of the way through the process as Stu does, it's part and parcel of his service if you want it. I'm lucky now as he knows all the oddities and peculiarities of me and my knife very well. But from day one he got what I wanted, and after this knife, it will be eight he has made for me in this pattern and I don't know another knifemaker that is at the top of the game in all areas as Stu is. Every British person should have an example of handmade Sheffield steel and be very proud of the fact that it is one of a very few surviving British industries.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Just so folks are not confused, the one in the pics above is my antler version and not the new one. It's off to get some leather so I won't get it in my grubbies for a while yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE