New Kelly Kettle Trekker Kit

• Hey Guest, For sale we have Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteel PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information or use the Pay Now button in the sidebar

malcolmc

Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
Hi all,

Just come across this - https://www.kellykettle.com/kelly-kettle-kits/stainless-steel/trekker-kit

Mine are:
Pros:
Small, easier to pack and should boil quicker than larger models
Comprehensive accessories
Uses natural fuel (big plus over a tommy cooker)
Grill can also serve as a stand to prevent scorched grass (nice touch that)
Includes whistle captive on a chain
Stainless steel
Pot seems to have a silicon lip to prevent burnt lips
Looks bombproof
Company has a very good reputation

Cons:
Expensive
It only holds 0.6 litre of water
Don’t see how it could heat pouch ready meals, (I have enough trouble getting pouches to fit inside a standard rectangular mess tin let alone a 0.45 litre pot)
Heavy at 1.2Kg

Heinnie Haynes have them on sale for 5p less - https://heinnie.com/kelly-kettle-trekker-kit-stainless-steel/

I would see it as being useful addition to day kit for a quick brew but not that useful for overnight trips; I do like ready meals in a pouch at the end of the day. Not sure I would replace my tommy cooker for quick brews on a day trip, perhaps I’m missing something.

Anyone got other thoughts on this item?

I have no connection with either company other than as a customer.

All the best,
Malcolmc

Reactions: bruno73

nigelp

There was a lighter version produced some years ago. I had a loan of one. It boiled water only and was great for brews and water for dehydrated meals or ‘pot cosy’ meals. I’ve never eaten a pouched meal so that function wouldn’t bother me. This Kelly kettle is a bit heavy but the price is not bad if someone wants a entry level wood burning solo set up. Only negative is that much of the country has been on high fire alert so any wood burning stove is going to be unpopular during summer months.

Edit M kettle https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/bushcraft/RD102.html

SCOMAN

Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
They're really only good for boiling water everything else is a significant compromise. I keep a small aluminium one in the car. I'm sure there's lovers and haters as with most things.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Wigan
I love them … but won’t have one. They are a quaint idea and putting sticks on a real fire is so cool. But … they take ages to boil, don’t pack small and stink afterwards.

I’ll stick with my jetboil thanks.

Reactions: Van-Wild and Nice65

bruno73

Banned
May 5, 2021
thurso
Hi all,

Just come across this - https://www.kellykettle.com/kelly-kettle-kits/stainless-steel/trekker-kit

Mine are:
Pros:
Small, easier to pack and should boil quicker than larger models
Comprehensive accessories
Uses natural fuel (big plus over a tommy cooker)
Grill can also serve as a stand to prevent scorched grass (nice touch that)
Includes whistle captive on a chain
Stainless steel
Pot seems to have a silicon lip to prevent burnt lips
Looks bombproof
Company has a very good reputation

Cons:
Expensive
It only holds 0.6 litre of water
Don’t see how it could heat pouch ready meals, (I have enough trouble getting pouches to fit inside a standard rectangular mess tin let alone a 0.45 litre pot)
Heavy at 1.2Kg

Heinnie Haynes have them on sale for 5p less - https://heinnie.com/kelly-kettle-trekker-kit-stainless-steel/

I would see it as being useful addition to day kit for a quick brew but not that useful for overnight trips; I do like ready meals in a pouch at the end of the day. Not sure I would replace my tommy cooker for quick brews on a day trip, perhaps I’m missing something.

Anyone got other thoughts on this item?

I have no connection with either company other than as a customer.

All the best,
Malcolmc
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out

Yam69

Jul 10, 2013
United Kingdom
They certainly don`t take ages to boil. They are as quick as any stove. Granted they are not ultra light or very small but if you have the space they are a great bit of kit. They can get smokey if your wood/pine cones are a bit damp !
Got the small one and the medium one and have used them all over the country.
Love em

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have one and I love it. I have the pan and grill plus stand. It boils very quickly on a handful of twigs, and I don't use pine much as that does leave a lot of residue.
The stand gives a good bit of ground clearance I like to find a bit of gravel or a flat rock for added safety.
Take the kettle off and put the grill on top and you could easily sit a pan and cook up a pouch of food. I've made bannock on mine, and fried up some bacon and mushrooms to eat with the bannock too.
It's perfectly possible.

Last edited:

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.