New Kelly Kettle Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I like the useful warning about what happenss if you lift the handle while its still burning..

"Carelessly lift the kettle up by the handle while there is fuel still burning in the chimney. The handle will come up over the chimney, your hand will be on the handle, and your hand will catch fire, dripping molten finger-fat down the chimney".

Wettstuff

Tenderfoot
Oct 14, 2005
Ascot
Brilliant, these guys sure no how to make folk laugh. not sure of some of the comments mind. oh well

Mark

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
using green tea as fuel :eek: - never heard how much they pay in Japan for green tea?
indeed, very british, that type of literature :D
What do they soak tea leafes in, some stuff from italian citrus trees? Probably they´d take coffee with pine bark .....

Thanks a lot for the link, great reading.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
A thoroughly enjoyable review. The Thermette avoids the molten-fingers-down-the-chimney hiccough. Personally, I think that they are superior to the Kelly version but they're harder to get hold of.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yep, I've a small Kelly and a Thermette and I much prefer the Thermette. I've had no trouble with the folding handle on it and found that it fits (with a layer of karrimat padding glued inside) perfectly into a old PLCE bergan side pocket I got from the army stores for a couple of quid. I trimmed all the junk off the pocket except the flat loops and it straps onto what ever bag I am using just fine.

Ok its bulky but the weights not much and it boils a lot of water very fast. Mine didn't come with a base plate disc but a sheet of thick foil works as well (will get round to cutting a disk one day but the foils handy for parcelling the ash up if I'm disposing some where else)

A Kiwi mate took pity on me a sent me one straight from NZ as I couldn't find one in the UK.

I've heard there is a larger version thats on issue to the NZ army but can't find anything on it. Sounds ideal for group use.

ATB

Tom

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
www.thermette.com/thermette_new4-04.htm - the big one is called "Magnum" and holds 2.5 gallons

and - what a big surprise - even the Aussies have a Volcano: the Eco-Billy (search www.google.com since I don´t have a direct link at the moment), also available in 2 sizes. It´s made out of stainless steel and has an integrated fire base. Same as the Thermette (aka Benghazi Boiler) it´ll leafe burned spots on the ground.

I´ve modified my 1pt Kelly to a safe handle.

D

Deleted member 4605

Wonderful review. It made me want a Kelly even more!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers Cyclist!
I want a Magnum, I want one bad! I'll probably have to sell a kidney and the postage will be a nightmare but its got to be done!

:-{D)

ATB

Tom

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
a friend introduced me to those volcano kettles long ago, actually it was in the wilderness of the remote Zambian bush (I even was on a one week Zambezi rafting tour with the Sobek guys). At that time I used an MSR, Before I had different Optimus, Phoebus, Bleuet etc. Those stoves continue life now in my stove collection.

Frequent Problems with pumps, jets, gaskets etc. made me think to find an alternative way to heat my meals on tour.
Thinking about volcanoe stoves: all I wanted was a smaller version - the 1pt. Kelly now teams up with a (modified of course - with Tatonka titanium pots) Trangia T27 (unfortunately the Caldera Cone wasn´t on the market at that time), both do the job perfectly
Eco-Billy also comes in a smaller size - it wasn´t available at the time I got the Kelly.

Aluminum pots causing Alzheimers desease is IMHO pure rumor - unless someone comes up with a real scientific research.
Copper, as used in the Thermettes, has similiar thermal chartacteristics as aluminum - unfortunately it´s a lot heavier.
Stainless steel (as used in the Eco-Billy) performs not as good as alumium and is heavier.
Dito for titanium

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Once again, please excuse size of picture but I've uploaded some pics for another thread and added one of my Thermette.

At the back is the lined PLCE Bergan pocket wich neatly takes the boiler and the stand. I usually have stuffed inside it a square of thick Ally foil to stand it on and some dry tinder and a bag of those sawdust and wax fire lighters in case it refuses to light. Shown underneath the boiler here is the old steel plate I use when operating out of a car, too heavy and big for humping anywhere. On the right is the ring which is used on top with pots and pans. I've never used it myself.

0thermette.jpg

A great bit of kit!

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE