New Heat treatment for steel!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Banite isnt new bit usually takes hours at temperature to form. Mixed banite martinsite is quicker bit still a good hour

Im going to try a banite heat treat
On the next batch

Carbides can be formed with extreme low temp cryo quench bit again takes time
ATB
Duncan
from tapatalk phone

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Mmmmmmmmmm.......Bainite. Never seen the gear to do it, but can't be that easy. Am I right in thinking Bainite formation used to involve bringing the steel to temperature within a a molten lead solution? Or is that nonsense?

Mmmmmmmmmm.......Bainite. Never seen the gear to do it, but can't be that easy. Am I right in thinking Bainite formation used to involve bringing the steel to temperature within a a molten lead solution? Or is that nonsense?

basically you quench into a hot medium the temperature needs to be just above that where martinsite starts to form, for O1 i think its about 230 deg c and then hold it there for a period of time while the banite forms which ive found differing ideas on the time from 1 hr to 5hrs
Ive heard of people using a hot oil tank ie a Chip pan type arrangement the Pro companies use a low temp salt bath

here is a page on various HT profiles

http://www.heatreat.de/en/news/deta...tments-of-steel-showing-increased-properties/

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE