New explorer scout leader

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 7, 2006
Scotland, Glasgow
I would like to say hi to eveyone!
Firstly I think it is great that there is a place for like minded people to meet up and chat about scouting.
As i mentioned im a new explorer scout leader who has grown up involved in scouting from a young age and think it has contributed massivly to who i am today.

P.S.

Any tips on how to get a group of hormonal teens who are discovering women, interested in the world of bushcraft, would be greatly appreciated as they seem less enthusiastic than they did when they were younger.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
My ten top tips for ESLs

1 - The programme is all important, plan a school term's progarmme at a time and keep them informed. I know we are not schools but they already think in terms of that and its easier to plan half term activities.

2 - When planning the programme draw up a grid 4 high by 4 wide to represent unit meetings for the next term. YOU write 30+ activities on post-it’s and get then to vote which they want, i.e. they pick half, and then YOU arrange them into a programme. Re-cycle the ones they don't pick for next time. Ifthey want to add their own post-its then fine, make sure they get used.

3 - Incorporate 3-6 month projects as part of the programme e.g. first aid course (see new badge requirements on www.scoutbase.org.uk) and do one session a month for 4-5 months. Have these the same night i.e. first Friday in the month is first aid.

4 - Once a month do expedition training, this can be trying new trangia recipes, cleaning the kit from last year, night hike (once every 3 months) route planning for an actual expedition, safety (actually go to a feild and make the rescue symbols with your bodies or try whistle signals)

5 - Borrow a Playstation and singstar karaoke plus a couple of disks. Borrow a projector and pair of speakers, they all love that one.

6 - Offer DofE/CSA Skills/physical activities as part of the programme, we have been doing Jujitsu since September and will carry that on to Easter that counts for all levels.

7 - Don't worry about uniform, flag break etc but once a term insist on a full BS session to give out awards, do enrolments etc.

8 - Scout section activities are fine two or three times a year BUT make sure that your level is noticeably higher than they had before.

9 - Incorporate what they are and what they do, don't try to stop them, that turns them off, so let them go out for a fag if they have to, and let them bring their phones but they turn them off when somebody is talking to them.

10 - Bring in visitors and go on visits, they will listen to strangers better than you.

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
Hi Nessmuk. Welcome to BCUK
Zodiak has given some great advice.

In addition may I add,

1. Try at create a regular event unique to your unit. We have an Easter camp every year. The Unit knows it happens during the first week of Easter Hols. Its become a sort of a tradition. This is in addition to any summer camps or weekend camps.

2. Take them on an over night or weekend camp. Call it a "survival camp" or something similar. Ask them what they wont to do on the camp. Have some challenges, wide games etc. If you would like more details PM me with your email address and I'll forward a programme of the backwoods camps I run in the past.

3. Introduce some new games. A bike inner tube can be used for a number of games. ie. Spider football, put an inner tube over four explorers (one spider) make as many "spiders" as you can, throw in a ball and stand well back!

4. In all planing try to involve the unit as much as they want to get involve. i.e. if you give them soul responsibility they'll probably have a information overload and do nothing at all.

5. Try to do things that involve the entire Unit. You may have to have more than one activity going on at once depending on how many leaders you have. On occasion a few will hog an evening doing what they want to do and having lots of fun while one or two sit out getting bored. Watch these ones. The challenge is to findout what makes them tick!

Good luck
Andy

TAZ

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2004
Farnborough, Hampshire
Good tip's.
Try to do a camp with the all explorer units as district, We alwys have winter camp the first weekend they go back to school where they cook on open fires and we try to do some backwoods activities. In doing this as a district you get more explorers try it. We have found it hard to do backwoods evenings due to a lack of commitent numbers.
Good luck in your new posts. :You_Rock_

K

KenC

I've also just started as an ESL (since November).

The guy I'm working with is keen on bushcrafty stuff, so we've organised a whole set of sessions (variouse water/fire/food/shelter tunes) in anticipation of a "survival" camp we're going to send them all on in the summer.

I'll let you know how we get on.

Ken.

E

explorerscout

WoW, some great advice people.
I have been an Explorer leader since they said
"this new explorer thing, anyone fancy giving it a go"
Spose 11 years Scouts first helped.
:)
Ok, first this age range rock, one of the ways we have got them "to be boverd or make the effort" is explain the conservation side of bushcraft.Show them things they have never seen, could be stars or how to tell East and West with two sticks stuck in the ground.

I have run survival camps for several years, for leaders and scouts and explorers (not toghether) but changed it to bushcraft camp this could incorperate a few more skills. But if survival camp sounds more exciting thats what to call it.
(note* funny how leaders bring alcohol).

Here the story we used !!!!
ok so you can say plain crash or helicopter or what ever (lol)
The rescue people have spotted them but cant evac for 1 / 2 / 3 nights.
they have dropped supplies by shoot (ie a tarpaulin n rope) and 1 container per two people.
put in container what you want, rice, pasta, potatoes, tins etc. They make there own meals up, so if they want rice sandwiches then thats what they eat.
We taend to put in a uncleaned fish for each of them and then demo how to clean streach and cook.
(we have been known to do this with squirel to ).

One world, one promise

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE