New camp kitchen Patrol boxes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
At our recent Leaders meeting we agreed to go down the route of Patrol boxes for the Scouts to take camping.

With that in mind, I have just bought and outfitted 3 boxes for the Scouts and 1 for the Leaders. It is our intention that most cooking will take place on open fires, so no stove in the box. (We do have Trangias etc to fall back on if we decide to cook on stoves.)

Comments and suggestions for forgotten items etc welcome!

We opted for "Stanley Fatmax" toolboxes. This is because I already have one for canoe trips and know that it is waterproof and robust, yet light enough for Scouts to lug around...
ScoutPatrolboxes005.jpg

Looking inside, you can see that the tote tray isn't full length. This allows bottles (in the Scouts' case, washing up liquid. In my canoe box, single malt:beerchug:) to be carried upright...
ScoutPatrolboxes001.jpg

With the tote tray removed, you can see that there is bags of space in the main section of the box...
ScoutPatrolboxes002.jpg

Finally, all laid out for inspection...
ScoutPatrolboxes003.jpg

We have decided to keep the boxes completely food free as they will be stored intact between camps.

So far they have inside them:

• Nesting set of 3 "Bulldog" type billies with frying pan lids.
  • Chopping board
  • SS Mora knife in sheath
  • Tin opener
  • Potatoe peeler
  • Wooden spoon x 2
  • Bar B Q tool set (tongs, fish slice & fork)
  • Steel scourer x 2
  • Sponge scourer x 2
  • Wash up cloths
  • Heavy gauge aluminium foil
  • Large zip lock bags
  • Box of matches
  • Washing up liquid
  • Alcohol hand gel
  • Black bin liners x 2

I have a wish list of gear to be added:
  • Frying pan - need to find one that fits the box!
  • Ferro rod
  • Tinder material

The Leaders box has had a waiters friend cork screw added - it must have fallen in when I was shopping:rolleyes:

Simon

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Just a thought...
instead of a frying pan (which would be quite small to fit) an 18" x 9" ribbed/smooth n/s alu griddle (c.£15 ex Argos) might fit under the tray.
More opportunity fo dumping brekkers into the fire but they'd soon get used to using it and they are more versatile than a f/p.

Last edited:

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Comments and suggestions for forgotten items etc welcome! ... We opted for "Stanley Fatmax" toolboxes. ...

Those boxes look a lot better than the older Stanley style (the wife picked up a couple after the World Cup, they say ENGLAND on them). Apart from the paint job, the one thing that really irritates me about them is that the lid won't close unless everything in the top tray is totally flush with the surface of the tray. It looks like they have that issue sorted on the ones in your pictures. How many Scouts will be served by one box? Presumably they'll each have their own mugs and utentils?

I have a wish list of gear to be added:
  • Frying pan - need to find one that fits the box!
  • Ferro rod
  • Tinder material

I'd be reluctant to keep a ferro rod and tinder in a cook set like that, as it might be put away with some slightly damp things in it. That wouldn't be great for the tinder but it could be very bad for a ferro rod. Make sure they're well wrapped up (with the matches) to keep out the damp if they're kept in there. When not in use I'd stow the box with the lid open if I could but I can see that might be a problem with a number of boxes for Scouting. If I had some spare room in the box I'd usually take the opportunity of stowing an extra cheap lighter or two, a candle, a small torch and some cordage. Stu, Pete and Martin will probably also tell you I'd put a small bottle of meths in there as well but I could understand if you wouldn't want to do that for the Scouts. :) How about part rolls of freezer bags and kitchen towels, and some leather gardening gloves? Is there any kind of a lifter with those billies? If you can't get a frying pan or griddle to fit, maybe you can fit something like a wire tray -- great for doing sausages. :) Can you use the box as a bowl for washing up?

jonquirk

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Guildford
Just been reading this:link on Backpackinglight.com about hand sanitisers. I'd consider replacing the alcohol hand gel with an alcohol-free type which is kinder to the skin.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not sure why you need a potato peeler; we never peeled veg in the field. (Rarely do at home anymore as we just cut them up and cook them with peel on now.

My biggest question though is do you actually carry the box when camping? How does it fit in the pack?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE