New camera

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
I’ve recently bought an Olympus E-P1 as a way to get back into photography. I saw this camera as viable option for bushcraft and outdoors because of its compact size, for those that don’t know it there’s no mirror so no prism, and it’s metal construction. As a starting point here’s a few shots from Glasgow Botanical Gardens. Thanks for looking,
jon

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Very retro looking... Good pics too

19343_olympus_ep1_viewfinder.jpg

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Thanks for the comments, theses were shot with the 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6, hand held and available light. These were shot jpeg with no post production or manipulation. I want to get to the point where I confidently shoot in manual, as it is I'm trashing more images than I'm keeping...
jon

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Nice camera. I looked at it and decided to go for the Lumix GF1 instead.
Just felt better in my hands, no other reason.
I bought the 7-14,14-140 and the 20 1.7. I must admit although I have not had much chance so far to use it, I love the quality of the pics.
I bought mine because now that I have glaucoma, I find that loking through the viewfinder of my SLR's for more then a min, I loose my peripheral vision for up to an hour.
This way I can still enjoy my hobby.
When the bank account has come out of shock, I want to get the macro lens next.
Alan

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Hello Jon
I recently bought a Pen E-P1, too, as a present for myself for my 50th birthday.
Since this is not my first Olympus, I already had a good starting point for fine-tuning the Pen, as this is a feature whre any Olympus really shines: You can get excellent JPEGs out-of-the-camera which then rarely need post- processing.

This is worthwhile reading, as the E-30 is as close to the PEN, sonsor-wise, as possible:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e30-sett.html

To get the most out of your JPEGs, you may try this:
Forget "Auto", as this mode gives you no influence at all at the technical quality of the pics,
use "P" instead, this mode lets you use all the f/time-combinations you want without the hassle of full manual.
Picture mode normal,
gradation normal,
contrast zero, ditto saturation and sharpness, eventually these two +1,
noise filter low,
file format LSF or LF, there is nearly no difference between these, RAW is only necessary if you do a lot of post-processing.
ISO 200 as standard (ISO auto max 800).
Exposure compensation usually 0 or -0,3. With the ESP-metering doing an excellent job and Live-view any adjustments are a doddle.
On my recent hiking-trip, look at "out and about" I encountered ever changing light when entering or leaving the woods. Being to lazy to always change ISO, I put "My Mode 1" on the FN-button and upon pressing had a good low-light setup:
essentially the same as above, but ISO Auto and noise filter standard.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE